Watch the world's oldest board game, The Royal Game of Ur, being played

“Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.”

I’m here all millennium, folks!

1 Like

I’ll believe it when it’s peer-reviewed.

Just from the picture, I immediately thought of hopscotch. Perhaps it is a (seriously degraded) version of this game. Hopscotch never made any sense anyway.

If you’re playing a physical game, just buy 4 D4 tetrahedrons.

If you’re playing online, it’s not hard to generate a 4 bit random number.

My favourite character is title on the bottom. (“Make that 8.”)

I thought so too - but on searching it turns out I thought so because I came across the British Museum’s listing for the event while trying to find details of a Day of the Dead event BB was telling us to go to (some 8 years after it was held…).

Of course they had board games back then. Where else were you going to ensure a steady supply of virgins?

1 Like

Oh hey, I just saw this in the British Museum at the weekend!

4 Likes

D4’s!?! That treacherous little caltrop… .

4 Likes

People think Legos hurt to to step on…

2 Likes

He and Tom Scott make near-PERFECT foils for each other.

Which, yeah, like catnip to me.

1 Like

please allow me to say here? this ! THIS video! this 20-ish minutes I will never reclaiming my life?

Was the PERFECT example of wonderful things! thank you so much Boing Boing!

I have a new curator to follow, a new game to learn, and a smile on my face and in my heart!

bravo - thank you Gareth!

2 Likes

It’s just ridiculous how much fun this game is – it’s ruined my productivity today: https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php

1 Like

Since the dice are marked on two of the four corners, you can just substitute four coins instead for the same odds (and still be able to roll a zero). That’s what I plan to do when I make my own board this weekend.

It looks to be in fairly good condition. Would be worth a lot more if it was in the original box though.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.