Watch this epic takedown of movie plots featuring abduction as romance

I’m sorry, I kinda see what you are aiming at, but it’s a false equivalence.

The idea that having gay characters on screen might make people gay is not generally occurring in an environment where gay people are expected to be gay and it is already being emphasized that you are entitled to be gay. Being gay doesn’t hurt anyone. And for many gay people, having a gay character on screen can be an empowering experience, because empowered gay characters are not a repetitive trope.

Whereas we ladies already feel we are in an environment where men are taught that they can expect to take our bodies for granted and they are entitled to them (lack of prosecution for rape, for example). I think we can agree that too many people (not limited to men but mainly men) are rapists and domestic abusers - and that this hurts people, mainly women. A repetitive trope that reinforces the idea that it’s ok for men to abuse women because women secretly “want” it can empower abusers and disempower the the abused.

*Edited to remove my last paragraph, because even though I knew what I was trying to say with it I am too tired to say it coherently.

*Edit to give one last try at making my final point - I could agree with you that tropes exploring “problematic” relationships are ok if we were talking about consensual non-coercive relationships. But this trope is saying consent can be retconned. That is not how consent works.

21 Likes