Watch this fan-made grimdark SCcooby Doo reboot

If each episode doesn’t end with a rubber mask being pulled off an “Old Man Jenkins” and the mystery is solved, then it really doesn’t count.

4 Likes

I tried watching it and it wasn’t for me, but I respect what they’re attempting. They are fundraising for a second episode and have a 12 episode season planned if they can get the funding.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reference. It mirrors what I read a few years ago, except the author seems to feel a “transformative” defense has a better chance of success than the authors of the articles I read.

However, fan-fic is probably pretty safe from prosecution. Some authors like it, and almost all of the rest are willing to ignore it if it’s not shoved in their face. I suspect most fan-fic authors are polite enough to not write stories in a world where the author has made their unhappiness with fan-fic known.

Just caught that Fred’s “idiot lawyer” is named “Harvey Birdman”. Nice easter egg!

5 Likes

Scooby and co. have been interacting with the supernatural since the ‘80s.

3 Likes

why the hell would they want to?

5 Likes

Hmmmm…got about half-way through it and couldn’t finish it. I respect what they were trying to do, but it’s not for me.

3 Likes

9 Likes

That’s pretty much where I landed. Not my type of show, definitely more “CW” style content than I like. But good on them. And I really appreciated Scooby was a real dog this time. And referencing one of the original Scooby-Doo cartoons with Miner '49er.

Although making them teens when all of them are clearly mid-20’s is a stretch. Should have set it in college instead and dropped the whole “daddy is the sheriff” story stuff.

Also, the mean-girl sub-story left me cold. As did the mean-jock sub-story. Much trope, seriously tired.

3 Likes

As Supernatural’s crossover episode illustrated, virtually all the schemes involved some kind of shady real estate venture.

1 Like

You want to see teenagers approaching their Golden Years, take a look at Rebel Without a Cause.

2 Likes

And they would have gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling corporate lawyers.

3 Likes

Fred Jones? Fred Jones? FredJones!
Listen up. Gang stuff. Serious.

2 Likes

Yeah but… You can’t bring in Vincent Price and have it turn out to be the janitor in a mask. (Unless it he died in 1957.)

3 Likes

You got farther than me. I clicked around a bit to see if Shaggy says “Zoinks!” Didn’t hear it, got bored, came here instead. Not disappointed - the comments are more entertaining than the content.

2 Likes

Or Grease. Most are too old to be graduate students…

2 Likes

Additional sheaves of terror: Being a high school trope at age 42, the kids finally passing Scoobopause and letting you do the plots for the gang around then. Having to workshop how old Shaggy has to be in the scheme.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.