In the Mindy Kaling's new Velma series, the character will be of East Asian descent and there's no Scooby Doo or Mystery Machine

Originally published at: In the Mindy Kaling's new Velma series, the character will be of East Asian descent and there's no Scooby Doo or Mystery Machine | Boing Boing

3 Likes

So it will probably be much better than the cartoon?

5 Likes

It likely will be, unless, of course, you’re an angry human who feels like new takes on old classics destroys everything you ever believed in.

7 Likes

Excellent! She’s the real star anyways…

Cartoon Monster GIF by Scooby-Doo

18 Likes

Cue the cries of “I didn’t ask for this!”

3 Likes

Yeah that part is kind of getting into “Garfield without Garfield” territory.

20 Likes

Sounds somewhat interesting but at that point why not make an original IP that is inspired by Scooby Doo? Either way i wish this creator well and good luck with the series :slight_smile:

12 Likes

why not just make a series that’s not tied to to the property scooby doo? oh, right, because then no one would watch it or care. duh.

7 Likes

Ralph Bakshi’s “Mighty Mouse” did the perfect take on Scooby Doo, and all those early 70s cartoon shows.

3 Likes

To be fair; most of the reboots and live action versions of Scooby Doo over the last 20 years have been God-fucking-awful - prime example being that ‘Crystal Cove’ crap.

That said, a new take focusing on an often over-looked character could work really well…

7 Likes

Neat!

When I was a kid, I guess I always thought “the gang” lived together (maybe in a Scooby Lair?). It makes sense that they’d have their own lives, different friends, and so on. I think the Venture Bros. did a good job showing the intimate and personal lives of comic characters (Henchman 21 living at home with his mom, going to a henchman-support group, and so on), so I’m looking forward to seeing Velma and the gang through a similar lens.

No mention if there will still be mysteries to solve, or… ???

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. I didn’t mind the movies (I love Mathew Lillard), but none of the new animated versions have been great. Even the modern(ish) books I’ve read with my daughter lately haven’t had the same appeal.

I was mostly thinking of the kinds of people who’d meltdown over a female Jedi or a black Death (from Sandman).

2 Likes

I breathlessly await the four episode arc where Velma looks for her glasses.

6 Likes

I am cool with Velma being non white or whatever but taking Scooby-doo out sorta takes it out of the Scooby-Doo category doesn’t it?

OH! I know, what if Scooby-Doo was killed and it is sort of a four person John Wick like action drama? I’d watch that!

5 Likes
3 Likes

I kinda figured that might have been what you meant, and that kind of toxic fandom can miss me.

(People who are butthurt about the stellar and diverse casting of Sandman are even worse; they are self-absorbed bigoted idiots who clearly didn’t understand the source material at all - The Endless can consciously manifest any physical appearance that they choose.)

10 Likes

I look forward to the Flintstones reboot where it’s just Barney living with four friends in a Chicago apartment, except he’s Scottish, gay, it’s the year 2052, and he has psychic powers.

14 Likes

Also better than the original.

6 Likes

Interesting, I always thought it was just John K, of Ren and Stimpy, who did the surreal Mighty Mouse reboot in the 80’s. TIL that Ralph Bakshi was involved as well…

4 Likes

Cool! Velma was my favorite in the original. I’m excited to see what she gets up to.
And, while I kind of get the feelings of, “if there’s no Scooby, why not just do something new?” But the other characters were real and interesting (somewhat, I’m looking at you, Fred), so it will cool to see something new with them.

5 Likes