He-Man fans hate the new series because it has too much Teela in it

Originally published at: He-Man fans hate the new series because it has too much Teela in it | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I’m so fucking tired of fandoms.

Anyway, not the biggest He-Man fan as a kid (I was the target demographic, but found the disproportionate figures off-putting), I do get nostalgic with some of the imagery, and the new series is actually great.

16 Likes

Mark Hamill, huh?

Coulda been worse.

blendermashupclub

(Thanks blendermashupclub on tumblr)

These people need to spend time working with the poor in Bangladesh or something. The fact that you think your childhood cartoon has “too much of the female character” in one episode is ridiculous. I’d say these grown-up He-Man fans are a bunch of wusses. Ironical.

24 Likes

Too much binary pronoun-al dependency from the get-go (she-ra she-woman man-of-arms hell-no girly-girl)

he-man (n.) “especially masculine fellow,” 1832, originally among U.S. pioneers, from he + man (n.).

4 Likes

I tried watching the first ep; didn’t even make it all the way through.

I don’t dislike it because of any focus on Teela, but because it reminded me that He-Man was all just one long-ass commercial for toys that they don’t even sell anymore (which I never got as a kid anyway, because I was a girl.)

31 Likes

Is My Little Pony the only 1980s cartoon/glorified toy commercial that was successfully rebooted into a popular and well-received 21st century franchise?

13 Likes

No, they want what they have imagined their childhood to have been. Revisionist memories and all.

I would love it if the new He-Man turned out to be queer.

22 Likes

They already have their childhood, they can go and watch the original 1980s episodes.

13 Likes

Pretty much; even I liked Friendship is Magic, and you know that’s saying something.

14 Likes

Yes, the real insult here is that new generations might experience He-Man in a slightly different way than they did back in the '80s, and we can’t have that!

15 Likes

She Ra was well received, but I don’t know if it was originally made to sell toys.

5 Likes

Meeting called to order.

17 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet, but it is on the list.

Honestly the people who want to find what they consider SJW/Woke in every little thing are super annoying. Hey man, not everything is a “radical liberal agenda”. You got your gauge set to 11 where if it isn’t literal knuckle dragging violent pulp type stories you want to screech about it is some how horrible because, checks notes, it isn’t the same re-hashed knuckle dragging violent pulp type stories.

From the sound of it , I assume this is a serial story arc vs episodic? I probably would enjoy an episodic version better, but everything is serial now. Gets people invested in the binge.

Anyway - I will watch and see how I like it.

FWIW - I liked the Thundercats reboot. Great animation and good story!

4 Likes

It was, to girls.

13 Likes

Transformers has had a few, Animated and Prime were commercial hits and popular with the fans. I never got into Animated myself but thought Prime was great.

1 Like

I think having him be straight but secure in his sexuality and gender would fuck with the man-children even more.

20 Likes

I liked it. I watched the whole of the series in one whack. I was kinda expecting the usual goofy shenanigans from the original series and was pleasantly surprised.

BTW low bar is low. Also, I was running a fever of 100.8 at the time.

11 Likes

Hot take: Toxic fans crapping all over your loving crafted reboot of their favorite childhood thing? Stop rebooting their favorite childhood things.

Problem solved.

11 Likes

It was. And it worked. Somewhere there is even an old photo of me in a full she-ra Halloween costume holding up my plastic figurine. We saw the cartoons and we wanted the toys. Worked beautifully.

But well and truly they were all just toy ads. Rainbow bright. Strawberry shortcake. It is weird to see people my age having conniption fits over movies and tv shows based on the cheap advertisement themed cartoons they watched as kids though like they were some kind of great literary and cinematic achievement. Ffs better play them on a 27 inch crt with an ashtray full of smoldering Virginia slims on top of it to get the full effect.

21 Likes

It’s Man-At-Arms, as in the medieval military role. Apparently his real name was Duncan, not that most people noticed or cared.

15 Likes