She-Ra reboot looks great

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/16/she-ra-reboot-looks-great.html

5 Likes

I don’t think she looks like a boy, but she does look young. Her safe gay boyfriend looks even younger. I miss the time (back in the 80s) when anime artists knew how to draw older people (say 20s or 30s).

Ok, that’s a bit extreme, but in this case it seems a bit unnecessary to make everyone younger.

6 Likes

Why oh why must (((Hollywood))) and the librul media keep making war on white cisgender males? The agony of it all!

4 Likes

What’s wrong with simply adopting the stylization of the original series?

4 Likes

I read the linked io9 article, and all I saw were polite, enthusiastic, and respectful comments. There was a reference to an IGN article with negative comments. Online nazis did not appear to be present, except in Rob’s mind, perhaps. Certainly, I saw no comment in the linked article mentioning that she looked like a boy. That being said, there are some significant differences in appearance:

5 Likes

The haircut + aminmation art + age of character I can see that. But meh haters gonna do their thing.

2 Likes

I strongly recommend you continue believe that io9’s comment section is the current extent of online discussion. Much better for one’s health.

23 Likes

Ha - I hold no such illusions. But why did you link to it to make your points?

1 Like

I linked to the article where I saw the announcement. The photos are presumably from EW, but they only published them in the print edition and I didn’t want to link to the source I found them, which is angry about the lack of tits.

17 Likes

LOL… in that case, completely understandable!

2 Likes

Well, it in weird twist, I read ‘She-Ra’ and this popped in my head. Homophone? Close enough. Now it’ll be in my head all day. Thanks She-Ra.

When the keytar was almost cool. Almost.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhhh, reboot. I almost thought it said robot. Nevermind.

6 Likes

I must have missed this. What about this has the entitled internet man-child brigade upset? Are they upset that the character is too feminine, or not feminine enough? Also, why do they care when they aren’t at all the intended demographic.

I’m serious, I can’t tell what they’re even upset about. The character doesn’t look meaningfully more or less feminine than the way I remember the original.

(Generally speaking, however, I suspect that their objections stem simply from the fact that someone made a thing that wasn’t intended to primarily appeal to them. They seem to get upset about, and unironically screech about cultural appropriation whenever anybody makes anything that isn’t meant primarily to appeal to them.)

4 Likes

Their usual cry is “you’re ruining my childhood”, which in this case means “you’re ruining my adolescent wank fantasies about She-Ra by showing less cleavage and all too much female empowerment.”

9 Likes

Because it was lazy and cheap? Granted i’m not totally sold on this new art style but if the series is good i can live with it.

4 Likes

I can totally understand that when you were children that you didn’t understand what She-Ra and He-Man were about. But as adults I hope you all understand that these cartoons were produced as 20 minute long toy commercials. It was the only way at they time they could have afforded the production quality for the animation. On a tighter budget you end up with animation like Yogi Bear or lots of reused sequences like Scooby-Doo. The 1990’s Children’s Television Act killed off series like G.I. Joe, He-Man, My Little Pony, Rainbow Bright, Transformers, etc.

4 Likes

As long as it is entertaining, I am ok with this. Ironically, it can be frustrating when a new show you really like doesn’t have any merch out there. Like the freaking Wonder Pets back in the day had NOTHING at one point.

If you like He-Man and She-Ra, be sure to watch the episode on The Toys that Made Us on Netflix. Though it focuses more on He-Man, it does talk about She-Ra and it delves into the bit bizarre history.

Not sure if this is up my kiddos alley, but will check it out when it comes out.

2 Likes
1 Like

I can’t say I’m wild about the stylization of the new series, but I do appreciate that the new She-ra is not needlessly hyper-sexualized this time around… and that she’s wearing footwear that actually suits the lifestyle of a superhero.

‘Killed’ is a mighty strong word to use, since almost all those shows have since been rebooted…

6 Likes

And Thundercats was rebooted twice, the more recent one being controversial over the art style.

Waiting on Silverhawks reboot i guess at this point.

5 Likes