He-Man fans hate the new series because it has too much Teela in it

Screw that. Why should toxic fans be the ones who get to decide what is or is not adapted into 21st Century media?

23 Likes

There are toys. Saw them at Target the other day. IMO: they looked like the same uninspired molds they used in the 80s. Unless they issue a collector’s series through Medicom, Figma, Bandai Tamashii, or Capcom, they are a monumentally wasted merchandising opportunity given their target audience’s disposable income.

Way to miss my point there, guy.

(Hint: I don’t care what they sell now. I wanted the toys that they sold back then.)

5 Likes

Same. I was a bit older, and more in to Gi Joe and Transformers, so this was “little brother” fare, but I still watched. But I was old enough to see how hokey some of it really was, so I’m not quite as “nostalgia blind” as my younger peers.

I think they did a solid job in this new offering. I admit I binged the whole thing in one night.

I cared.

3 Likes

I’m right with you. I liked Teela in the show. The voice acting though was sub par all the way through.

This isn’t a woke version of he-man. It’s a bad version of he-man.

What the new She Ra did was take the premise of the show and make it phenomenal. What this He-Man did was take the premise of it’s show and crap all over it. I don’t want to see my childhood heroes killed off. I don’t want to see a long, drawn out, miasmic plot. I want something fun.

The original show wasn’t about death and grim reality. It was fun. This version forgot that. This wasn’t something that I’d watch with my kids to bridge generations. But She Ra was.

3 Likes

You probably saw the He-Man origins line, which is a re-imagining of the original toys with slightly updated sculpts, and more articulation. It is supposed to remind you of the original toys (Retro Play!)

There is a Revelations toy line that should be out/hitting shelves soon that looks like the new cartoon series. These might be sold in the “collectors” area at Target, I am unsure.

And to make things even more confusing, there is going to be a kid targeted series on Netflix with a toy release later in the year. I don’t think they have shown much from that other than this image. Which I am honestly not 100% sure is the actual toy or not.

2 Likes

Oh, my fucking god; whatever crappy toys they market now is NOT my freakin’ point.

11 Likes

I thought I had gotten your point; I apologize for missing it.

They do have toys (not the old ones, though – thanks to @Mister44 for the update). I wasn’t assuming you wanted them, just being Obvious Man pointing out that the show is still a long-ass toy commercial.

1 Like

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

6 Likes

There’s other reasons one could hate the show.

If maybe this idiot showed up:

1 Like

Yeah, I saw where you wrote that, the first time.

Gee thanks; that never gets tired, having a dude echoing exactly the same sentiment a woman just expressed.

6 Likes

16 Likes

Yeah, it was. The He-Man creators in the 80’s realized they were missing a golden marketing opportunity and they made a line “for girls”. I had a fuckton of both He-Man and She-Ra toys.

6 Likes

Maybe they could just retool the character as a horrifying lycanthropic goblin like the live-action movie did back in 1987. Everyone loved that version, right?

8 Likes

Now, there’s the fucking rub;

I was totally allowed to have a She-Ra doll.

(Goddamn misogynistic society…)

11 Likes

That Revelation one looks like it might have some interesting articulation. He-Man was never my thing, but I am interested in various methods of articulation. There are a lot of interesting designs to try getting articulation as close to human movement as possible.

I’m also interested in stop motion animation, especially from Laika, and the articulation they build into their custom animation frames.

That last one… micro-encephalitic He-Man is disturbing.

Orko is in this version:

10 Likes

sisko-facepalm

Of course they hate it.

It makes me want to go watch it and upvote it just because.

8 Likes

IIRC, this abomination was made because Orko would be too expensive to produce effects wise.