Watch this idiot steal a phone from a livestreaming journalist and broadcast his face to 20,000 viewers

Originally published at: Watch this idiot steal a phone from a livestreaming journalist and broadcast his face to 20,000 viewers | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Never quite understood the though process of stealing a device that is tied to a person that is a also GPS tracker that can remotely brick itself on command.

19 Likes

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

12 Likes

Depending on the phone, can’t you just factory reset it, and then get a new sim card? I think that is how it works with Android phones, at least.

2 Likes

In a statement, the ministry said that the man is “jobless”

Shocking that no-one will hire this genius.

4 Likes

I hope they don’t chop off one of his hands, he’s already behind the 8 ball, so’s to speak.

5 Likes

In theory you can’t factory reset an iPhone without being able to log into the associated Apple ID. You can always sell it for parts, though.

3 Likes

I will give the guy coolness points. Stealing a phone while driving a motorcycle, smoking a cigarette and wearing a denim jacket. James Dean anit’ got nothing on this guy.

2 Likes

James Dean would have been much cooler if he had stolen more mobile phones.

Emily Blunt Thumbs Up GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

2 Likes

Most Android’s do this as well. I don’t know how widespread since OEM’s like to do their own thing. At the very least Pixel’s do this. Samsung actually has a concise description on their own site:

Factory Reset Protection (FRP), is a security feature on Android devices with Android OS Version 5.1 (Lollipop) and higher. The FRP provides a built-in security feature you are able to use that protects your device and information, including screen locks and data encryptions. The FRP is enabled automatically when a Google account has been registered on the device and will be disabled if the Google account is removed from the device prior to the Factory Data Reset. Once the FRP has been activated, it will prevent use of your device after a Factory Data Reset in an untrusted environment. This means if your device has been Factory Reset in any other way than Settings > General Management > Reset > Factory Data Reset , the FRP Lock will be enabled.

And Google has their own Find My Device portal that you can use to lock/erase your device remotely: Find My Device (google.com)

3 Likes

But it was on discount.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.