Watch this lock picker remove an inventory control tag in one second

I rarely see those used for garments. More often I see ones like this:

Which are definitely RF tags.

I was hoping for the end of the video to show him putting the tag on an old rag then removing it poorly so we could see the ink capsules break open.

3 Likes

This is hearsay, but many years ago (back in high school) a friend told me about some shenanigans: She and another friend got hold of the tool one uses to remove these antitheft tags. They went around removing the tags from what they wanted and, yes, shoplifted the merchandise. A little later they were eating lunch in the food court and the other friend suddenly gasped. She reached into her coat pocket, pulling out a handful of the antitheft tags they’d removed earlier – she’d been hiding the tags as they removed them, but then forgot about them. They’d made their way out of the store, carrying both the stolen merchandise and the tags, without being detected. They concluded that the scanners were either broken or powered off.

Or this… or that the story, as told to me, was B.S. in the first place

4 Likes

I hope that there is a support group for people like his wife who are victimized by this .

If this happens to you “regularly” or even maybe once, you might learn how to look at your purchase before you leave the store.

Or he could just put out a video on how to remove them without the BS.

1 Like

It’s a reference to a lock picking tool that The Lock Picking Lawyer and BosnianBill, another lock picker, built to make opening disc detainer core locks easier.

Some years back a mate kept triggering shop alarms when leaving different shops, and despite checking for tags left on any products that might have been purchased.
After lots of false alarms, and irritation, it turned out a wallet he’d bought had a security tag hidden inside!
I can’t begin to count how many times I’ve seen and heard the alarms going off in shops and stores, and nobody pays much, if any attention, because they’ve got a queue of customers to serve.
Still, with the busy Christmas shopping period in full flood, this could be a useful tip… :wink:

1 Like

“Hello-- I’m from the future, and we buy all our stuff online. What is this “storefront” you speak of.”?

I’ve bought lots of clothes like this-- and end up triggering the alarm at other stores. Then I have to schlep it back to where I bought it, show the receipt, and get the tag removed.

1 Like

This is part of my confusion - it’s been so long since I’ve had to deal with these things, I’m not sure what’s changed (in terms of security approach or functionality), if anything. I honestly don’t remember the last time I bought clothes in a store that used tags. At least a decade, possibly two. I’ve never even seen the dye tags before.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.