Watch this wonderful clip of Muhammad Ali learning about Mount Everest

Originally published at: Watch this wonderful clip of Muhammad Ali learning about Mount Everest | Boing Boing

6 Likes
31 Likes

This,
There are two kinds of ignorance (not knowing)…
The bad kind: People who don’t know, don’t care to know but feel that their ignorance on a subject rises them above others.
The good kind: People who don’t know, but are willing to know, want to know given the opertunity.
Ignorance of a subject is treated as bad when it is not, it is merely a state of being, capable of change.

20 Likes

That was too damn wholesome.
I am so cynical/realistic most of the time, that stopping to wonder myself or seeing something like this is really nice.

17 Likes

Were they shooting a horror movie at the end? They couldn’t have asked for better conditions

5 Likes

The third kind of ignorance is people who don’t know but still are convinced their flawed ‘facts’ are the truth and can’t be convinced otherwise.

7 Likes

Today this video would just be him googling on his phone. Curiosity is beautiful.

14 Likes

Can’t find anything saying that Ali ever got to climb it, which is too bad.

13 Likes

That was a time when a professional athlete could concede complete ignorance on a subject unrelated to his sport without any apparent concern.

Nowadays, it seems every athlete will, when pressed, profess knowledge on any subject he’s called upon to talk about. Or at least he thinks he knows “enough” and/or such knowledge really isn’t all that important anyway. Eg, the basketball player who’s pretty sure the Earth is flat.

But Ali certainly could have climbed Everest if he’d put his mind to it. It would have been safer for his body, too. We lost him way too soon. : /

4 Likes

Muhammad Ali was one of my childhood heroes. I met him in 1991 and he gave me a handshake and an autograph. As he was shaking my hand (his hand engulfed mine) I was fully aware of the power behind it. I thought about all the people it knocked out and all the world leaders and celebrities who had touched it before me. The autograph was written on an Islamic literature tract. I’ll be in Louisville in a few weeks and plan to visit his grave while I’m in town. Truly the greatest of all time.

15 Likes

I wonder if the interviewer caught hell from the “powers that be” for trying to entice the Greatest of All Time to go off and potentially kill himself?! On another note, Ali sure was one hell of a boxer, but he was also one absolute hell of a conversationalist! Always brings a smile.

3 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VW0-0HlSNY

6 Likes

Just as well, he might have knocked it down with that right cross.

3 Likes

Well there was also a time where the world’s information wasn’t constantly at your fingertips.

Ali definitely asks a lot of the right questions about something he is just hearing about for the first time. It is interesting watching someone question their way through new knowledge as opposed to opening the firehouse of a book to wikipedia or whatnot.

5 Likes

(Because it’s funny, that’s why)

10 Likes

The man was a treasure. Completely precious.

4 Likes

‘The hands can’t hit, but my eyes can see…’ what you did there.

:wink:

5 Likes

The coffee shop down the road has this on its wall.

“It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you down. It’s the pebble in your shoe.” - Muhammad Ali

Yep, the man was a treasure.

5 Likes

They should have that plant laying on it’s side!

4 Likes

Omg! I’ve looked at that so many times and didn’t see how much better that would be. I’ll definitely mention it.

1 Like