Watch: what it's like to live on a submarine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/24/watch-what-its-like-to-live.html

7 Likes

They left out “Sherwood Forest”. That’s what they call where the missile tubes are located. There were a couple of shots of them in the vid they just didn’t call them out.

4 Likes

Worked with a submariner. He said regular sailors called them “bubbleheads”. Their name for regular sailors was “targets”.

5 Likes

In the town where I was born
Lived a man who sailed to sea
And he told us of his life
In the land of submarines
So we sailed up to the sun
Till we found a sea of green
And we lived beneath the waves
In our yellow submarine

6 Likes

No thanks, I spent my days [Chief Cook] on top of the waves, and that’s the way I like it.

A “wonderful thing” that Cory never would have posted. Is this a paid ad? Just a jolly bunch of sailors, that just happen to be logistics experts for some pretty horrible weapons.

4 Likes

This didn’t really give me much of a sense of what it’s like to live on a submarine. What was this, a US Navy recruiting video? That hard rock riff playing in the background made me think so.

I’m always torn about these kinds of things.

• Should I be proud that America is so bad ass? Or should I be sad that I’m helping to pay top dollar for machines that are hiding out, out at sea, that can annihilate the planet so quickly, so completely, so savagely…?
  • Am I the good guy with the gun? Or am I the troubled, possibly bullied teen that just found my dad’s AR15?
  • Should I be happy that I’m helping to maintain jobs of all those shipbuilders in Newport News, or should I be angry with the thought that this part of the nuclear triad is outdated, astronomically costly and entirely unnecessary?
7 Likes

An image dated from this year shows not a single sub under construction. Not one dry-dock occupied by a sub. Just one undergoing maintenance dockside.

Newport News Ship may not be as sub happy as you’d think.

1 Like

Zarf. I like that.

Are subs actually an unnecessary part of the triad though? I thought that subs were the most compelling argument for curtailing the president’s ability to launch nuclear missiles in minutes

Mutually assured destruction requires that both sides have a doomsday device. but right now those devices are effectively on a hair-trigger - originally I believe the reason for that was to make sure that a retaliatory strike could be launched before the first-strike takes out the other side’s nukes. But submarines obviate that requirement, which should, in theory, open the door for adjusting (i.e. curtailing) the president’s unchecked nuclear launch authority

it’s, uh, a topic I’ve been thinking a lot about in the last couple years

5 Likes

But our friends, are they all aboard?

4 Likes

I’ve been on a submarine… at Disneyland. I even saw mermaids.

2 Likes

Not sure, but many more of them live next door.

4 Likes

I heartily agree with your points, but are submarines outdated? I always thought they were the most important part, since you never know where they are.

Here is the full 12 min video no rock soundtrack thankfully!

2 Likes

That actually is kind of informative! I guess the other ones was the USN Recruitment Cut?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.