Watch: Woman learns her Airbnb has a window connected to a restaurant

Funny you should ask!

Short version: Host provides scammy non-response. AirBnB, after seeing the video, offers her a partial refund or future discount.

9 Likes

Protip: if you want a legal hotel, pay the tourism taxes, which also support the inspectors that give a hotel it’s licence.

Play stupid games, win stupid accomodations.

28 Likes

Obviously you’re not a social media influencer

9 Likes

So you have to wonder. Are the photos really old and the restaurant got built later? The presence of the window implies that it opened to something at some point. Maybe it once overlooked an outdoor dining space?Or they full on photoshopped the whole thing. Or maybe both. Absolutely strange IMO. I mean it would cost $500 to just cover the window with some sheet rock. Why leave the window? Even crazier that it still opens. Nothing worse than restaurant smells when you’re tryin to sleep. Also, that window would only encourage me to become some weird exhibitionist.

4 Likes

You know what that means…

Free kababs, bread and cheese sticks.

23 Likes

So, by holding a powerful torch under their chin, the AirBnBer could produce a scary mirror-ghost-face for the diners?

@SheiffFatman beat me to it :joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

I’m a sprawling kind of person, so I take over every surface of the room with stuff when I stay somewhere. I always clean up before I go, but yeah that looks like how I’d be at an AirBnB. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I would legitimately want to stay here.

Anyone able to find the link to the listing?

1 Like

And Desert! I’d grab it right off their plate while they were stunned by the stunt. Or maybe join them and have a whole new experience. I’ll bet they’d remember it it!

4 Likes

Hard to say, but based on the view in the listing it’s probably somewhere near Shutterstock

11 Likes

Hey, this is how they switched folks’ coffee in those Folger’s commercials, isn’t it?

11 Likes

I’d even pay a premium.

I don’t like TV, but I’d for damn sure watch a human terrarium.

3 Likes

Turns out AirBnB has been around a lot longer than I realized!

4 Likes

Clicking on either of the links in the article connect me to either https://www.tiktok.com/music/Quirky-6770511259797293058 or https://www.tiktok.com/@desireerosebaker. But on neither of these is there a link or a file I can click to run a video. This happens a lot.

“Waiter! Where are my kababs?”
“Forgive me, sir. I could have sworn I just served you. Here are your kababs.”
[Swish-Swish-Swish].
“Waiter! Where are MY KABABS!”

7 Likes

Some good explanation here:

Looks like this is a regular hotel room that is just being sold through Airbnb, so the listing probably has stock photos of a “standard” room in the hotel. Likely some on higher floors actually have the view pictured. And according to the Eater article, the restaurant appears to have been built out in a former outdoor patio space, which would explain why there’s an opening window. But it’s almost certainly illegal to let out that room as a hotel room without a window that opens to the outside.

9 Likes

Was that flat the hide-out of the drug dealer who once owned that restaurant and hotel? The world may never know, but history is fascinating.

3 Likes

I look forward to posts about Airbnbs with apertures leading into varied establishments like liquor stores, firearms dealers, banks, perfumeries, costumeries, sex clubs, mortuaries, et al. More than mere eateries, ya?

1 Like

I hate coffee, but I remember these like it was yesterday.

1 Like

Short term rentals aren’t legal in NYC.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/specialenforcement/stay-in-the-know/about-illegal-short-term-rentals.page

Just sayin.