Watson for Oncology isn't an AI that fight's cancer. it's an unproven mechanical turk that represents the guesses of a small group of doctors

“The only thing it’s spent that much money on is stock buybacks,” Greulich said.

You want to fix the corporate tax system? Tax this procedure out of existence. It’s just a gift to current stockholders.

2 Likes

If the state of the art is just a series of if->then statements, then it does seem like something which is transparent in the manner in which it is constructed would be a lot easier to accept. I’m sure there are several similar products, but there is something called Via Oncology which uses expert opinion to come up with recommended treatment algorithms (basically branching) based on tumor and patient characteristics.

1 Like

Calling a device’s stated purpose, that being reducing the reliance on human doctors, a “conspiracy to undercut the employment of doctors” and a “paranoid delusion” is idiotic. The developed world does this to the underdeveloped world constantly, in numerous fields and industries. Commercialized medicine is not immune from this attitude. It’s neocolonialism at its finest.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly when I read the STAT News writeup on Watson a few weeks ago. The STAT writers obviously didn’t know the distinction.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.