We are all just two or three crises away from the street

funny example - probably Sweden follows NATO standards, but the country is (so far) not am member of the club : )

2 Likes

I was just drawing upon the reputation of Swedish Excellence.

3 Likes

But I thought the US was a ‘Christian’ nation! Doesn’t that mean that the US people will take car of the poor, the sick, the homeless?

I like to watch reloading youtubes by true hobbyist-experts. The precision that some of these people achieve in their garage is amazing.

3 Likes

You just described the Tea Party perfectly! They vote due to fear of the ‘OTHER!’ and when they get screwed, they don’t understand why.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure a sub-saharan African child slave warrior doesn’t have the time, patience or skill to do that kind of precision work between beatings. Also, 11 year old children typically aren’t given garages to manage on their own in the first world, much less failed states in the throes of ethnic cleansing.

It’s not that bad. Sulfuric acid is unpleasant but not THAT much caustic. If in doubts, work under water. That reduces the causticity and eliminates the explosion risk.

Not everywhere, usually sulfides, and needs a lot of heat to convert to oxide and reduce to metal.

The ore is not everywhere, where I am I cannot remember any location nearby nor nearbyish. In contrast I see a plethora of cars from the window. The processing needs roasting the ore and then reduction, while processing reclaimed lead requires just remelting with a flux. Lower temperatures needed, and no sulfur dioxide emissions to bother with.

Lots of PDF files out there, both licit and illicit. Many low-power computer boards out there suitable to power from solar panels or small generators with batteries, and with SATA interfaces. Ebook readers with very low power consumption are also suitable for solar power.

Some are more tolerant than others. AK47 is fairly famous for its tolerance to environmental variables.

Sufficiently precise. Absolute precision does not exist.

2 Likes

That’s only a fragment of the local demographics. And even in subsaharan Africa there are quite well equipped metalsmithing workshops. You will less likely find state-of-the-art CNC machines there, but the old manual ones with an experienced machinist will yield pretty good results too.

See some photos from Libya workshops.
http://survincity.com/2011/12/the-home-made-gun-libyan-rebels/

1 Like

If we are talking about apocalyptic survival, and assuming the Earth hasn’t been turned into Venus, then the answer is neither what you or @LDoBe are saying. The best place for lots of raw materials is not ore or cars: it’s landfills, recycling centers and metal dumps. Why smelt when you don’t need to? Why take stuff apart when it’s already been done for you? If I were feeling entrepreneurial, I’d figure out where to go and stake out my pile of metal and defend it boisterously, while eating the rats and raccoons that crawl through it.

3 Likes

Libya isn’t sub-saharan Africa, but the idea is valid all the same.

1 Like

Well, there are certainly some who agree with that. The problem is that the care is put onto privatized entities, and not through the state, meaning it’s not spread evenly. the ideology of secularization cuts both ways in this case, I guess. I think there are plenty of Christians who do that work, although there are plenty who preach the prosperity doctrine who don’t.

Large dumps will be quickly colonized by teams of well-armed, well-organized entrepreneurs. Better to have a small, out-of-the-way, personal dump of your own.

1 Like

Definitely yes. Already done by the poor in some areas.

But cars are plentiful and at the initial phases of the situation you won’t have to fight so much over their corpses.

Same for Pakistan, A nice workshop here:

You can also join one such team and trade your skills and knowledge for protection and not having to deal with annoying customers.

1 Like

This makes me feel MUCH better about the state of my house…

5 Likes

I’m planning to be the leader of Trash Nation.

1 Like

CORRECTION: We are slightly less unlucky–maybe just a little bit longer.

EDIT bcs spelling

1 Like

Up to two hundred dollars of beer is completely. On. Me!!!

Come and Get It!!!

3 Likes

Thanks Marueen for an important article. three thoughts:

1. We were in Naples this summer, a visibly poor Italian city but we didn’t see a single person sleeping rough during our 6 day stay, they were a few beggars in the churches but no one sleeping on the street. I live in central London and it is impossible to walk in any direction without seeing people sleeping in doorways. Two minutes form my house two young man arrive every evening with suitcases and make their bed underneath the arches, they are very meticulous and thorough, they basically live there. This is 15 minutes walk from the Bank of England in one of the richest cities in the known universe.

In Naples where there are shanty towns this doesn’t seem to happen, at least not anywhere in the centre of town. We saw poor people and people down on their luck, but we didn’t see people living on the street–I wonder if this has something to do with a sense of community / responsibility Italians feel for their families.

1. It is important to highlight this is a systemic issue! Peter Marris’ The Politics of Uncertainty highlights how the effects of lives’ uncertainties are transferred on to the smallest / weakest unit in society i.e. the individual.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NaSFAgAAQBAJ&pg=PP5&lpg=PP5&dq=peter+marris+the+politics+of+uncertainty&source=bl&ots=-2Ek4JCM3E&sig=pF5EPbOFzeoaA-WmETLAor-hyUI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBGoVChMIyYvtm8ODyAIVBTgaCh0oRATh#v=onepage&q=peter%20marris%20the%20politics%20of%20uncertainty&f=false

1. [quote=“boingboing, post:1, topic:65892”] She does have mental health issues, but seems stable and able.
    [/quote]

Is this relevant, would your neighbour’s homelessness be more justified if she wasn’t “stable or able”? Does / should having a mental health issue in some way justify societies failure to recognise the humanity in others and ensure that basic needs for shelter and nourishment are secure for all.

2 Likes

No.

4 Likes

The point being made was different than the one you made about justifying homelessness. The point was that mental circumstance is generally beside the point as a cause/symptom of homelessness.

Generally, people think of the homeless in the USA as mentally unstable because of historical events, ie deinstitutionalization. In the mid-70’s, most mental wards in the USA were closed and the inmates were given medication and released. Yes, it’s more complicated than that, but that’s the short version. So, they had nowhere to go and became homeless. At the same time, the Vietnam War ended and many vets became homeless and grouped together with the released mental patients. Then in the 80’s Reagan further defunded mental health by destroying the Mental Health Systems Act enacted under Jimmy Carter. This legacy of turning mentally ill people onto the streets continues today as a standard practice in many large cities.

Ergo… generally, people associate the homeless with mental illness. Which is a likely correlation. But we humans are connectors and we attribute the homelessness itself with mental illness as a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

The OP was making the point that homelessness and mental illness may be linked, but one is not to be understood as the cause of the other.

Which is different than justification. Justification seeks to identify cause.

4 Likes