We only see 5% of the universe

Dark matter! I heard that each pound of it weighs over ten thousand pounds!

2 Likes

The telescope adds 10 parsecs.

6 Likes

If we live in a simulation, that’s just the part that was too complex to program.

“Hey Bob, just change these values here and we are good to go”.

And now there is a bunch of managers worried that we are onto it.

5 Likes

5 Likes

“Visible matter makes up only 5% of our universe, which is dominated by dark, unexplained forces.
Congrats on being one of the sparkly bits”

Get this on a Hallmark card, stat.

7 Likes

The universe isn’t infinitely large, though (maybe the multiverse). It hasn’t had time. It started out as a point and expands at a finite rate.

7 Likes

how the heck do you know that

1 Like

I was there.

13 Likes

all hail auld

5 Likes

“Where does outer space end? It’s kind of hard to imagine.” – The Flaming Lips

But seriously, what’s on the other side of the edge of the universe then?

4 Likes

Let’s say you live in the surface of a sphere. That is to say, you are two dimensional and you’ve determined that the universe you lived in used to be a point and is now becoming a bigger and bigger sphere, but you can’t even conceive of moving away from the surface. Moving in a direction perpendicular to the surface doesn’t even make sense to you.
Where is the edge of the sphere?
We are in that sort of situation. We’re not inside a balloon being blown up, we’re on the surface of a four dimensional one being blown up, so everything just moves away from each other.

8 Likes

I’ve always sort of assumed that in moving away from some stuff, some other stuff moved in front of some stuff, and that space obscured the other space behind it because it happened later but in front of earlier things - and that’s where most of the stuff is. Hiding in plain sight, just give it time.

is that Imperial parsecs, or Rebellion parsecs?

3 Likes

As i understand it (and i’m a mathematician who has trouble with applied math, so certainly not a physicist), new space is essentially being created between every pair of particles, but the forces (gravity, strong, and weak) can be enough to bring them back together.

7 Likes

I’m a chemist who has trouble with applied attention span, but I think you’ve summed it up nicely.

4 Likes

I see your Animaniacs and raise you a Monty Python

10 Likes

Did you just call me “two dimensional?”
:cry:

6 Likes

Much less, actually. We only see 5% of what’s inside the light cone. What’s outside may be infinitely more.

4 Likes

13 Likes

Science cannot explain everything

sciencesux

4 Likes