We only see 5% of the universe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/19/we-only-see-5-of-the-universe.html

10 Likes

Why doesn’t “normal” (i.e. not dark) energy get a slice of the pie?

4 Likes

I fully expect that “dark matter” and “dark energy” will go the way of ether as an explanatory concept in physics. They may be a useful part of the model for now, but I don’t expect them to survive.

7 Likes

This is about the known unknown, but what about the unknown unknown?

6 Likes

I agree. This seems like an ad hoc idea. Our theory of gravity seems to work pretty well, but we have gathered data that doesn’t fit with it. It can’t be that we don’t fully understand gravity, there must be something invisible!

1 Like

It would take a bit of work to do that at least as I understand it since the Standard Model does allow for such weakly interacting particles. It would really be interesting to see how a model could be created where all particles have to interact across all four forces.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Having just binged Oh No Ross and Carrie’s 5-parter on Flat Earthers, reading this article feels like getting a love letter in prison.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Funny. She actually lists reasons why DM isn’t a modern day aether: http://www.astrokatie.com/faq/#darkmatter

6 Likes

We only see 5% of the universe

5%? That’s amazing we see that much.

9 Likes

If the universe is infinitely large, then we see an infinitely small piece of it.

(But I get what she means.)

2 Likes

Those are the things we don’t know that we don’t know.

7 Likes

Good line for a song.

2 Likes

Obligatory:

6 Likes

and it’s the crappy 5%

8 Likes

Its the 1% you have to worry about, thinking they’re special because they’ve got all the Hydrogen.

9 Likes

Need a light?

7 Likes

5% of infinity is still a pretty big infinite set

5 Likes

I’m not buying it.

They invented DAM because the universe doesn’t behave in accordance with how relativity predicts.

Eventually though the problems with Einstein’s gravity point to some 90% of the universe having to be something invisible.

So dark stuff is something we assume exists because of a theory which doesn’t explain 90% of the universe.

1 Like