Web companies can track you -- and price-gouge you -- based on your battery life

Let’s call it what it is - Facebook. It uses a lot of power because it’s reporting as much as possible of what you do to Facebook.
Calling it the Stasi App might be more honest.

3 Likes

Embrace the hyperbole!

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

2 Likes

The Stasi (or for that matter any agency before the 1990s/2000s) didn’t even dream of the possibilities the always-online society gives. A better name would be Late Stage Capitalism App.

2 Likes

ftfy…

Late Stage Appstore-ism?

True, but combined with IP address, user agent and OS it’ll do a pretty good job.

If you have that info, I don’t see how the battery level, which is continually changing, brings much to the party. Seems to be this is just someone misusing a term to make a heading into more tempting clickbait.

You can get a fairly good idea with those but consider a company with a number of employees that have been issued laptops and phones. They’ll share an IP and chances are many will have identical OS and browser versions, so any other clues that help identify individuals could be used. Granted it would be tricky to do it reliably but if you’re desperate enough, every little helps I guess.

I think it’s quite interesting that something most people would never consider is potentially another factor in being identified.

But you’re right, the first part of the headline at least is hyperbolic.

1 Like

If they’re sharing an IP address, they’re probably all in the same office, which means they probably have their phones plugged into chargers, in which case their battery levels will all be showing 100%.

What they’re doing (if anyone is actually doing it at all) is attempting to evaluate who might be in a time-sensitive situation due to having a low battery. Put simply: evaluating ≠ tracking.

I’m like that too. “Oh no, it’s down to 83%, I better plug it in!” I figure I got that habit from video games where I always want to top off my HP whenever possible, just in case.

2 Likes

You left “Late Stage App-italism” right there on the table…

3 Likes

I made my choice. I regret nothing.

1 Like

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.