Web Trackers Paint a Fresh Picture of You

I don’t see how you can have a legitimate business use for unwanted tracking.
I mean, yes I see how someone would want to do this. But its hard to reconcile any legitimate business interest with said business deliberately deceiving its own customer base.

If my bank guarantees perfect (or near perfect) security by offering to silently track me, I might think about giving consent, I wouldn’t need to understand how they do it, but I would have to understand my role in it.

Security measures taken on my behalf? maybe not.
Tracking my activity on the internet?, The real question is WHY is it so important that I not find out that I’m being tracked? Its not for my safety.
Also, it wasn’t hidden particularly well, you can’t hang invisible fuzzy dice on my rearview mirror and blame me for finding it. “Awww, you went and found them, now I can’t keep you from crashing!”, Wait, what?

I fundamentally agree with this. Though there is a hidden assumption in posing the question this way. The assumption being that “giving users a choice” is a constraint to technical solutions. Privacy is actually assumed by the user and questioning a need for it is the real flaw.

The other hidden assumption is that the type of tracking we are talking about here is being done for the benefit of the user. There’s merit to what you say as philosophical speculation and as a nod to realpolitik. Its just that this isn’t a security measure, at all.

3 Likes