Web Trackers Paint a Fresh Picture of You

20 comments in and no one has noted that BoingBoing.net uses this software - specifically the AddThis version.

We do not include AddThis javascript in our siteā€™s code. If you are seeing AddThis in your browser, please email me at dean@boingboing.net and let me know what URLs you are seeing it at.

From the BB Front page:

Got it, it looks like itā€™s actually the audio embed in this post: http://boingboing.net/2014/07/23/peter-kuper-cartoonist.html

We use other sites to embed videos and audio in Boing Boing, and if any of them include AddThis youā€™ll see it appear in Ghostery. Iā€™m seeing that post show the tracker and no others. Weā€™ll replace the embed.

Edit: Iā€™ve removed that embed, you should not see the AddThis tracker on the homepage.

5 Likes

See Deanā€™s note below. Boing Boing (and I) would have disclosed if AddThis was being used (as I did about my own site) because of the precise reason you note: canā€™t hide its use!

Besides what crenquis provided, it looks as though a scorecardresearch.com script is also adding it. Iā€™m a new user so itā€™s blocking me from uploading images, hereā€™s an imgur link.

This has me thinkingā€¦ I imagine you could increase privacy by giving an option to partially block any and all information being sent in response to a server that does not exactly match user input or data directly formed from the requested page itself (or information that is part of standard protocol) kind of like a popup blocker. Furthermore, any information that is from the request itself is either commonly used request information, or potentially identifying information. If you have a third party you can trust, users could optionally contribute their internet browsing to establish exactly the whereabouts of information that is likely identifying after enough hits. A search engine would likely be a good participant in such a thingā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.