Wedged Wonders: pointy concept cars of the seventies

6 Likes

The design and user experience of that site does a good job of emulating the pretty-to-look-at-but-irritating-to-use ethos of the cars themselves.

4 Likes

<3 Vector Aeromotive

4 Likes

I loved the 70’s wedges and I am sad that they’ll never exist again.

I’m sadder about horizontal scrolling layouts though :nauseated_face:

Edit:
I’ve figured it out! The horizontal scrolling and microscopic zoom buttons are actually artistic commentary on how the highly angular designs of this era look good but are, practically speaking, very inconvenient to use.

Probably.

2 Likes

I get a wonderful “Battlestar Galactica” vibe from the pictured car. As a kid in the 70s, I would have loved riding around in that.

5 Likes

The TR7/8 hardtop was ugly, but the convertible was a thing of beauty, and the torque-y aluminum V8 and power steering in the TR8 made it a joy to drive.

tr8

5 Likes

I liked that car!

I never drove one or even sat inside one, but I greatly enjoyed seeing them.

2 Likes

I think these cars (including the TR7) are beautiful. Modern cars, within any given category, all look just the same.

2 Likes

Don’t most of the wedge cars predate computational fluid dynamics?

The Lamborghini Countach has a drag coefficient of 0.42, slightly worse than a 1982 Volvo 740

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Volvo_740GLT_Kombi_front_20080130.jpg

5 Likes

Going further back (late 60s, for the source?) I kind of “blame” Gerry and Sylvia Anderson:

5 Likes

My girlfriend in high school had a Pontiac fiero GT. It was an awesome car.

My first car was the Camaro Berlinetta

1 Like

At least all these wedges had the cool retrofuturistic look as a contrast to the boxy monstrosities that made up the rest of 80s car design.

If you look at a timeline of designs, it’s as if everyone forgot that curves existed until about 1991.

6 Likes

“Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.”

Someone made a Last Starfighter game for PC several years ago. I find a lot of fans of the movie (who may have watched it on VHS about 80 times in their youth…) aren’t aware of its existence.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

I keep the main theme from the soundtrack on my instrumental playlist on Spotify.

2 Likes

That was my dream car when I was a kid; I saw one when I was seven years old and thought it was the sportiest thing I’d ever seen. Compared to the Kingswoods and Valiants I was accustomed to, it looked like something from the future.

In second place was the RX-7, thanks to Alan Moffat.

2 Likes

Actually, you’ve got to wonder how much of that was limitations on CAD software, design trends, or was it just all inspired by leaked photos of F-117’s.

1 Like

I’ve been haunted by the urge to draw countach(es?) like a cursed soul/bored 80s highschooler in meeting agenda margins, stray loose-leaf and sketchbooks for about a year. Every drawing still looks like shit.

I feel like it’s not entirely my fault. It’s a car that veers dangerously close to hideousness, but somehow stays just this side of fucking great. Even the technical drawings look totally stupid, almost like a pinhead with a dumpy ass, but when it’s photographed (preferably accompanied by a big-haired 80s lady) it always looks so fucking rad.

lambo1

5 Likes

The Bond Bug, wedgiest car ever.

10 Likes

The Bricklin SV-1, the safety oriented sports car (pretty forward thinking in 1975).

Created by the man who brought Subaru, the Fiat X1/9 (another wedge car), and the Yugo stateside.

And here’s the Fiat X1/9:

5 Likes

The front (and ONLY the front) of the Fiero always reminded me of the front of the Ferrari Evoluzione GTO (which also had side-rear air scoops – although actually functional).

3 Likes

He sells poster art prints from his website, though I would prefer a book! (There may be one forthcoming though! Stay tuned!)