Wedged Wonders: pointy concept cars of the seventies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/15/wedged-wonders-pointy-concept.html

7 Likes

Nothing says POS like a wedge car look 78’ Triumph TR7, nothing…

10 Likes

I immediately thought “Wedge” referred to the X-wing pilot in Star Wars. That’s what he drives when he’s done kicking Empire ass

7 Likes

16 Likes

I was thinking more like starbuck and apollo’s vipers from BSG. I kind of miss that aesthetic.

11 Likes

Love how you can really see the influence these designs had on Star Wars when they’re collected like this… George Lucas is a huge car buff so the Lucasfilm designers have reported reaching for fancy cars of the 70s and earlier as inspiration, even into production on the prequels in the 90s. It’s quite an aesthetic.

4 Likes

That one was one of my favorite gobots as a kid…

12 Likes

And also the Toyota MR2 and the Fiat X1/9. Though the Toyota is arguably not a POS. I loved these little wedges.

8 Likes

I had a 19A0s moment in this post knowing that Lotus wasn’t really the British company that actually sold millions of wedged wonders, but being unable to recall MG/Triumph/Leyland

5 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

3 Likes

Even Porsche got in on the action:

To be fair, I think the 914 is really beautiful.

7 Likes

Love this duckbill one. Thankfully they didn’t give you side mirrors, as night driving would be quite intense.

11 Likes

I had a TR7 many years ago. I really loved it. But yeah, it didn’t run a whole lot.

4 Likes

My favorite of the era is the Countach

14 Likes

ahhhh, wedge-cars in a horizontally-scrolling image gallery. An idea designers thought would be cool, but sucks, presented in an idea that designers thought would be cool, but sucks.

But seriously, these cars look like they came about because the new computer-aided design software was a fork of Battle Zone…

20 Likes

Yeah, I had one, a match box car version, but I had one.

5 Likes

I can hear the tb303 just looking at it.

3 Likes

It’s Centauri’s car from The Last Starfighter with a BSG Viper paint job.

12 Likes

I’ve owned several wedges. They, um, primarily get shoved under the bottoms of doors and stop the cats from opening them.

3 Likes

Makes sense… though I think that’s sometimes what he drives when he’s kicking Empire ass, as well:

8 Likes