Weekend Update explains Melania's jacket flip flop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/15/weekend-update-explains-melani.html

4 Likes

tumblr_pgewoaG9Nn1vmtp2uo1_540

6 Likes

People would care about climate change if they knew exactly how brutal it would be. So maybe just have everyone watch “The Road” once a year.

6 Likes

I’m not to sure I can even stand to read the book and I love Cormac McCarthy. At least I do have a copy of it.

1 Like

Very quick read, I read it on a plane flight. The last paragraph is a beautiful piece of poetic prose.

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”

2 Likes

Back in the 80s I was having nightmares and losing sleep over the likelihood of nuclear war. It seemed then that people just didn’t care, even though no one had any illusions of how brutal it would be.

I don’t think its apathy that is holding us back. It’s more nuanced than that. And coming together to address it now (there is no “defeating it” now) is going to coincide with a whole lot of other activist issues being addressed. None of which will make any difference to the 2%

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s nuanced at all. It’s something that requires massive government action, but huge moneyed interested are preventing that because there’s more profit to be made in the short term from letting things go to shit (and probably more profit to be made in the long run when commodities become scare and they can charge more.)

I imagine I will get around to reading it eventually. It took me a year to read Blood Meridian, only partially because it was so horrific (access was a problem at the time). Fortunately, McCarthy is one of those few authors, like Tolstoy, whose writing just etches into the brain, i.e., you can put the book down for months and come back to it still knowing where you are. David Foster Wallace was like that (5 years for me to get thru Infinite Jest). On the other hand, something like, say Agatha Christie or Elmore Leonard, which, while tons o’ fun, usually does not lodge in the brain. This is not all bad in that I can reread certain things and still have no idea what’s coming next.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.