Wha Oh! Wha Oh! That thing you hear in everyother pop song is the Millennial Whoop

Like many complaints about millennials, this trend really doesn’t bother me, but then I’m too old to expend the energy.

Is the Wha Oh the evolution of the Oh A Oh?

7 Likes

Right. It was a fourteen-syllable utterance or gtfo(my lawn).

I remember then.
Wop, wop, patta patta pop-pop, shoo-wop-dah bop bop, ooh .

1 Like

Your avatar is not a mouse sir! Get your facts straight Rob.

3 Likes

Wow. That was weird.

I missed the first Katy Perry note above the fist video and spent a whole bunch of time after that reading the captions and then doing what people usually do after reading a caption: looking upward to see the illustration above it.

2 Likes

So crooning and yodeling are now a “Millennial thing”? Bullshit. I suppose next you’ll call peanut butter and banana sandwiches a “Millennial thing”.

6 Likes

I think that’s 6 to minor 3. I think that would be a lot more unusual for pop music, where you rarely hear a 6. It’s jazzy.

1 Like

Better or worse than yarling?

Summer is icumen in. Lhude sing wha-ou!

4 Likes

Litigating over this drivel is why our civil court system is backlogged up the wazoo. What if some hack artist copyrighted the color white? Or if the court would’ve let Trump copyright “You’re fired”?

1 Like

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,
To cast me off discourteously.
For I have loved wha-oh so long,
Delighting in your company.

5 Likes

Katie: “Wha Oh! Wha Oh!”

Me:

6 Likes

well, at least i know the proper term for it. poor millennials – even their grating generic pop vocalizations are branded now!

2 Likes

millennials catch a lot of crap, but consider for a hot second what their forbears left them to work with. if they want to have upbeat Oh Whas in their pop music, i’d say that’s fine.

4 Likes

7 Likes
9 Likes

Wordless vocalizations have been in music about as long as there’s been music. This isn’t a “millennial” thing any more than Little Richard’s "wooo"s are a baby boomer thing (and Paul McCartney picked them up for his songs, and then Michael Jackson after that, and so on). And they’re not relegated to pop music either, they’re in any music that one might sing along to.

4 Likes

This song has an amazing Wha-oh @ 0:22…

And I like Mates of State no matter how millennial that may make me.

Right, but it seems that the “wha oh” has recently been way more prolific in pop music. They aren’t the originators of “wha oh”. They aren’t the first or only ones to sue wordless vocalizations. It isn’t the only vocalization used today. But it is being used a lot more in music lately and leading to a vibe or a sound that binds them together as part of a movement.

2 Likes

Yeah, but that fifth/third thing really is endemic to millennial pop.

…and it’s one of the places where my irrational distaste for “the younger generation” kicks into gear for some reason. There were a couple of commercials for Toyota a short while back that really harped on that motif and drove me nuts.

It’s my problem, I’ll deal with it. But I swear, if I catch one more hipster busking on my lawn, yodeling fifths and thirds…

3 Likes

I don’t care so much about the music, but those assholes in Owl City stole my goddamned car!

8 Likes