"Institutionalized" is the most Gen X song of all

Originally published at: "Institutionalized" is the most Gen X song of all | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Here Dude, I got you a Pepsi.

download

27 Likes

Of older quirky songs that i just can’t help but love “Institutionalized” is certainly at the top. Another one i have a lot of fondness for is:

25 Likes

It would go well with a plate o’ shrimp.

11 Likes

Not the same without sock puppets:

20 Likes

Haven’t seen that video in years. I remembered Tom Araya and Mary Woronov being in it, but not Jack Nance. Nice surprise!

9 Likes

If this post hadn’t come along this morning, I would have passed my whole life without realizing that Brak released a cover of Institutionalized…

21 Likes

Hmm I’m going to have to go with Teen Angst myself:

12 Likes

Surely this qualifies:

15 Likes

I’ll see your Institutionalized and raise you this Replacements angsty anthem where they couldn’t be bothered to make a professional video. Or they could be bothered to make a video statement. I don’t, man. Whatever. Who cares. Got a cigarette?

12 Likes

Institutionalized is a very solid choice for our theme song. I could get behind Creep by Radiohead as well, or anything by the Violent Fems or Sonic Youth. But for at least the next five minutes or so I’ll say it’s Generation X, led by Billy Idol, singing Dancing With Myself.

15 Likes

All of this album:

32 Likes

As much as I’d really like this to be true, I’m pretty sure that, as per my high school’s class song choice, it’s actually “Friends in Low Places”.

3 Likes

Is there a more iconic Gen X song? I guess that depends on if there are any songs about signaling countercultural and revolutionary beliefs but ultimately selling out and shrugging at the struggles of the following generations in a world that Gen X failed to change. Hope this borderline Gen X-Millennial (I hear it’s called Xennial in some places) isn’t too bitter sounding.

3 Likes

Wellll, maybe not technically music, but music related and it fits your description. I WISH my generation stayed politically active. Judging from my past on Facebook, most of my HS over the years became apathetic and then went full Trump. Yuck.

8 Likes
12 Likes

omg I’m just now realizing that boingboing is the weird Gen X corner of the internet.

Anyway, here’s detachable penis: King Missile - Detachable Penis - YouTube

23 Likes
9 Likes

All good candidates in the comments here. I also recommend “Popular” by Nada Surf

10 Likes

yeah but especially this part, right?

8 Likes