How to fail at marketing to Gen X

Originally published at: How to fail at marketing to Gen X | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Yeah, as a Gen-xer I’ve been successfully avoiding being marketed to for the last fifty years.

Bring it, motherfucker.

75 Likes

That seems awfully low. Perhaps he means ‘in the US’?

22 Likes

There’s still upwards of 60 to 80 million [members of Gen X] around the world, but they’re not heavily marketed to

That he doesn’t understand that this is a feature and not a bug for us is right where he goes wrong.

Yesiree, he’s on the path to success. Though imagine a world where there were only 60-80 million of us around the world. Most of us would be multi-millionaires.

25 Likes

help help! I don’t think we’re making enough money off of Gen X! Maybe if we feed some more of the empty aesthetic trappings of their youth to them they’ll buy it.

21 Likes

Speaking as a GenXer: Ugh, fuck this.

31 Likes

From their website “Each new publication is intended to generate effective and informative conversation surrounding important issues to encourage dialect rather than divisiveness.” I think they mean dialog not dialect. Then again I’m not gen x

15 Likes

The boomers’ GenX Eradication Project is nearing completion.

Does anyone else read that logo as Captain America with a white Wilford Brimley moustache?

8 Likes

Gen X really needs more nostalgia.

Indeed, good to know.

16 Likes

9 Likes

The only thing more embarrassing than a group of ‘olds’ trying to look cool for the kids, is a group of youngs trying to [checks notes] look cool to the olds.

38 Likes

And for our entirely homogeneous and easily categorized Gen X generation, no sound can be quite so nostalgic as the sweet crackle of sarcasm.

39 Likes

Oh, then you’ve arrived at the sarcasm center of the universe. Welcome. /s

24 Likes

Wait. I know the answer to this one.

The only winning move is to not play.

39 Likes

Isn’t being impossible to market to kind of a key Gen X feature?

18 Likes

So someone watched Reality Bites and decided the take-home was Ben Stiller was the hero and every one wanted more marketing?

13 Likes
6 Likes

Pretty much. Guess that’s why large corporations never seem to produce TV commercials targeted at us. Or maybe they do, but they miss the mark as badly as this Gen-Y fool.

9 Likes

“I can market to Gen-X from the Vasty Deep!”
– Glendower Glen Ross.

3 Likes
4 Likes