Gen X is no longer young: A thread on aging

A thread for discussions on various aspects of growing older…

9 Likes
8 Likes

Sadly, younger folks don’t always get the reference…

As my Dad used to say… “Youth and agility will always lose against age and guile.”

12 Likes

I’ll post here when my back and feet stop aching so much from trying to keep up with 20-somethings who walk further and faster than I can manage at my decrepit old age!

17 Likes

In my house the wife and I play a game whenever we stand up called “snap crackle pop…my bodyyyyy”

The other has to guess where the noise came from. My favorite was standing up and she couldn’t guess and my only response was “I don’t know either. It was loud enough it reverberated through my own body. I felt it in my ears more than any where on my body”

13 Likes

I feel seen.

We had our kiddo late in the game (surprise!), and when she was becoming mobile, she would mimic our grunts, exhalations, and groans when getting up from the floor. Now she just eye rolls in embarrassment.

14 Likes

Same.

The other day, my 9-year-old daughter was listening closely when I had The Cure’s Inbetween Days playing.

The Cure: “Yesterday I got so old”
she: I guess it was his birthday yesterday, and he turned 50 or something.

7 Likes

I’ve noticed a definite uptick in how many targeted ads on social media assume I’m in the market for erectile dysfunction pills these days.

I guess I should just be happy they aren’t trying to sell me adult diapers yet.

12 Likes

Something about the math hit me the other day when I was reading about nazis and other fashy groups, and I wondered yet again why people are so damn happy to ignore recent historical lessons. Then I did the math and realized, for the first time, that WWII ended almost 80 years ago. I guess I can safely remove the word “recent” from that sentence.

13 Likes

As far a I’m concerned if there are still veterans walking around it still counts as “recent” history. Heck, they’re still not done bringing all the war criminals to Justice.

14 Likes

I just turned 46. I think I’m on the younger end of the gen x spectrum but I fully remember Atari 2600 and even when 8 tracks were still a thing when I was very little so I think I count. I’ve been super lucky in that I’ve retained my hair unlike many of my male friends and that feels like cheating aging. But I just finally got reading glasses and the optometrist gave me a lecture about how my eyes are gonna keep getting worse and there’s nothing that science or wishful thinking can do to stop that. It kinda put things in perspective. It’s happening. I’ve put it off as long as possible but age is gonna get me too.

12 Likes

I feel that.

It was the “80” bit that surprised me.

9 Likes

My brain 4 years ago: “Age ain’t nothin but a number! Let’s go to law school!”
My body: “Hold up a sec…”
My brain: “Let’s GOOOOOOO!”
My body: sigh

4 years later, literally thousands of pages of case law later, a heart attack and a global pandemic later…

My brain: “fuck”
My body: “I tried to warn you!” pop
My brain: “Ow! TF was that?”
My body: shrugs

20 Likes

When someone half your age can go to a bar legally and have decent rates on car insurance, you’re officially old.

14 Likes

That would be (checks) 29. Damn it.

12 Likes

And if the bartender paid four times what you did to go to college, you might just be an oldneck.

12 Likes

My cousin is 10 years younger than me. We went to the same college for undergrad.

My tuition was in the “expensive German car to cheap Cessna” range. His was around “mortgage on a house in the midwest” level.

9 Likes

I graduated from med school carrying $37k in student debt. I thought that was a lot. My niece will graduate from the same school this year. She is carrying rather more than that. Like 6-7 times that. We were discussing that, because she also wants to go into pediatrics, and the debt load and income potential really limits her options. She is looking into debt forgiveness/medically underserved areas type programs. Yeah, it’s a bit of a different world the kids are facing.

15 Likes

A really, really big number… :thinking:

7 Likes

Thank you for changing the thread title!

6 Likes