Gen X is no longer young: A thread on aging

When I joined The Well back in the mid 90s there was a thread (and it is still live today) called “Aging Meat Suits” or something like that. Given that a lot of the members and admin were more boomer (well, first gen Deadheads) than Gen X I didn’t even think about it much. Now I think about it.

8 Likes

At 46 I thought I’d dodged that bullet, too. Eight years later I’m realizing I was wrong.

7 Likes

When I was a kid, there were people alive whose parents had been slaves.

11 Likes

There almost certainly still are.

If a man was born into slavery shortly before the 13th Amendment was ratified in 1865 and fathered a child in his mid-60s then that child would be in their early 90s today.

History isn’t as far away as we tend to think.

14 Likes

Or Faulkner. Or somebody else. Who knows?

13 Likes

I have a driver’s license from when I was about 20 that reminds me of young Homer, at least compared to now.
young homer simpson.1

. . . now I need the Count to tally the hairs in the sink when I comb in the morning.

3 Likes

Then: Bill Gates (no, really. I was mistaken for him a few times. Also sent a picture of him to my father saying it was me. He wanted to know when I got the new sweater)

Now: Heisenberg from Breaking Bad.

6 Likes

It hit me a while ago that when The Simpsons shorts first aired on the Tracy Ullman show I was the same age as Bart, but now I’m around a decade older than Homer.

13 Likes

When it first aired on Fox I was the same age as Bart. It’s weird to age along with the show and slowly pass the age of the entire family (and even Moleman!!)

8 Likes

11 Likes

There are millennials over 40 now. Gen X hasn’t been young in a long time.

8 Likes

I never expected Grandpa Simpson to be the one I related to the most by the time the show went off the air.

IMG_0053

16 Likes

patrick stewart GIF

16 Likes

Yes, but now we’re realizing it :-).

6 Likes

The things that once were so very important are history or on the cusp of being forgotten. The heroes of our youth are dying and the idealistic hope I had for the future born of the falling wall in 1989 finally got nailed by the one-two punch of Putin and Trump. Climate catastrophe is the new normal. The internet once thought to be the democratizer of knowledge has proven that disinformation has a stronger pull than truth.

Physically, I’m still fine, but I’m losing friends and family my age about once a year and every time I look in the mirror my father stares back.

13 Likes

And you get so mad when your ma and dad
Reflect when you look in the mirror

Waxing or waning?
Your call.

(I hope you’re well)

5 Likes

I was really lucky in that regard as well, I thank my grandfather on my mom’s side, who kept his hair until the day he died. It was always a worry though because my dad is balding, and I thought I might go that way eventually, but I solved that problem permanently when at 43 I kicked out testosterone and started running on estrogen. :grin:

12 Likes

We’re off work, and we went out for a few drinks and now I have a hangover before I have even gone to sleep, dammit.

6 Likes

I eagerly await the epithet that replaces “boomer” directed at the genX crowd.

Any day now…

3 Likes

Well, that would require someone to pay any attention to us… so it’s not gonna happen…

11 Likes