How to fail at marketing to Gen X

I think, comrade, that they intend the dialectic to achieve synthesis.

16 Likes

introduce us to the wide world of podcasts.

I’m still kinda mad that someone felt the need to make up a word for serialized sound files that you download and listen to whenever. I guess it makes sense, but they’re still just sound files.

8 Likes

I was in high school in 1985. Thanks to 24-hour cable TV, the internet, and the onset of on-demand digital media, our pop culture never really went away. Nostalgia is, in and of itself, an old-fashioned idea.

“We don’t leave the past behind, we just accumulate.” - Joe Jackson

21 Likes

Logged in just to heart this.

Speaking as a straight-up Gen-Xer, I’m perfectly full up to the brim with nostalgia, thankyouverymuch.

After you finish mowing my lawn, get off it.

13 Likes

A newsletter filled with nostalgia and “how to be down and hip with today’s yutes?”

19 Likes

“We would like to move into podcasting where we sit down two people of completely opposite ages and backgrounds to talk about the commonalities they didn’t even realize they had,” Putnam said. “We have big plans for where this thing could go.”

And really? Their idea is to call it “Fast Times”??

fast times at ridgemont high comedy GIF by IFC

16 Likes

I think you just answered your own question. That’s quite a mouthful.

Trucks, cars, and busses are all vehicles, so why do we bother naming them? There’s no functional difference between them that might make more precise names useful in conversation to communicate an idea efficientl- Oh… wait…

11 Likes

A product designed for and targeted at Gen X? Meh, whaddeva.

8 Likes

With a nostalgic ‘80s and ‘90s twist…

If you want to market to Gen X you need to tap into '70s nostalgia. That was our childhood and that’s what we’re obsessed with.

The friggin’ '90s? What, you gonna throw Spin Doctors back at us? No thanks.

20 Likes
11 Likes

Who are these “Spin Doctors” you reference?

4 Likes

I mean, Sesame Street was first made for us. We understand the quick sell.

14 Likes

You really don’t want to know unless you feel like being bored to death by extremely mediocre “music”.

9 Likes

“but if you want to call me baby, just go ahead now…”

dancing as whitely as I can

14 Likes

Probably joking, but it’s The Last Starfighter logo. I loved the movie when I saw it in the theater as a kid, and it still mostly holds up today. Robert Preston and Lou Gossett Jr. were great sports to go along with what had to seem like such a cheesy movie.

Come to think of it, how in the world has there never been a (real) video game based on that movie??

8 Likes

This. Fast Times was NOT the defining movie of our generation. Almost any other choice would be better. We were not living “Fast Times”, we were living through some of the greediest, regressive times ever, filled with massive structural failures, pandemics, and the rise of “christian” conservatism that threatens to undermine centuries of civil rights work.

There was at least an arcade game that riffed off the movie and the game within the movie. I remember playing it (badly).

EDIT: Quick internet search says I did NOT play it, because there never WAS one. Crap. What DID I play then? Being 54 sucks some times…

14 Likes

It is just Gen X nostalgia I threw up there and is unrelated to the podcast otherwise.

Needed a cover image to represent marketing to Gen X. Last Starfighter is great marketing to Gen X.

5 Likes

A Gen Y trying to market to Gen X has big

energy. Good luck to them. (Though I have to say, their stated approach would leave me extremely cold and feeling more than a little insulted.)

13 Likes

Here we are now, entertain us

14 Likes

Yeah, it’s us Millennials that are nostalgic for the 90s. Though, weirdly, it’s Gen Y Z that’s hugely into Friends. What’s up with that? They were just being born when that aired.

5 Likes