Gen X thought of the day: “We invented the playlist.”

Originally published at: Gen X thought of the day: "We invented the playlist." | Boing Boing

1 Like

Gee, I was doing mixed tapes in the 70s … I am the Blank Generation, even though they added me to the Baby Boomers at some point!!!

13 Likes

Nonsense. I was making mixtapes on cassette by 1970 or so.

10 Likes

winona ryder heathers GIF

11 Likes

I used to come across old reel-to-reel tapes from the 50’s/60’s that were basically mix tapes, but I grant that probably most people with home stereo setups back then didn’t bother with that. Doing it on a cassette was easy and fun. Gen X may not have invented it but I think they(we) really made it a big thing.

6 Likes

Radio had playlists since it was started. Way before you were a twinkle in your father’s eyes.

But I’m not sure all of these things are exactly the same.

3 Likes

Gen x remix culture, mixtapes, zines, assemblage art… I don’t care who invented it, as a vanguard millennial I admired the mirage on the horizon.

15 Likes

I’m sure that the Boomers will try to hog the credit for this too. They won’t rest until they, and not their parents, are recognised as the true “Greatest Generation”.

6 Likes

This. the cost of home recording equipment and such made it easier for more people to own them and make mixed tapes. There are certainly examples of mixed tapes prior to the 80s, but it became a central part of youth culture in the 80s…

And of course plenty of Gen Xers would have been around in the 70s to make such things during that time, since most consider the start of our generation to be sometime in the mid 60s…

10 Likes

My dad is like 5 days too early to be a baby boomer, and he used to have boxes of reel to reel tape of stuff he recorded sometime in the 60s, I believe.

So - uh - while sure, Gen X may have made the mix tape more common or a more common way to trade music with friends, but people were making mix tapes/playlists before that.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Right? Boomboxes and the Walkman contributed in a big way.

It’s me! (1965 baby)

I’m gonna plug my favorite creator of Gen X (labelled) content: @Corrbette on tiktok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@corrbette?lang=en

2 Likes

Culture is weird- it’s almost as if it builds upon and is a reaction to what came before to make something new.

22 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I forgot. It’s all contextless male genius. Springing fully formed from the head of Zeus.

Except that Athena was a woman. Odd that.

9 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 Likes

NO!!

season 6 episode 10 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Sorry, went a bit Boomer there.

Pets. Pet interest. Same thing.

2 Likes

No no that’s not how it works. One man has an idea after years of solitary confinement and then he puts the idea in the lossless record of ideas and gets a token for it because he was first. Everyone else just gets a participation trophy with his name on it.

7 Likes

Sounds incredibly difficult. Having to reinvent the entire history of mathematics every time you come up with a new consumer product.

And gods they were!

7 Likes

I got a rock.

8 Likes