Whales worth about $1 trillion in carbon sequestration, analysis finds

Do you have one for sale?

1 Like

yeah, who knew I was so eco-friendly?

Every CEO I’ve ever listened to would say: “Whale sequestration is a $1 trillion market. If we can get even a tiny fraction of that, we’ll be golden!”

And then they’ll start soliciting investor capital by killing a whale and flying parts of it around the country. Because they fundamentally misunderstand all the concepts involved.

And their plan will be a version of the underwear elf business model:
Step 1: Kill whales.
Step 3: Profit!

1 Like

…which begs the question, what would you invest it in? Venture capitalists are flinging their money on all kinds of stupid ideas, because all the easiest money had been made, and its far more profitable to con wealth from its owners than to create wealth now.

It’s an old article from when the economy was somewhat more sane and good investments were easier to find. A more serious question is what you are going to eat once you converted all sources of food into quick cash. I’m not sure if the author indended that the article be taken seriously, or if it was intended as a warning not to take economic theory too seriously. It has in any case been more commonly used for the latter purpose.

Rather surprisingly given that we are in an “emergency”, there have not been many studies done. The few studies that have been done show that carbon sequestration depends on where the fertilization is carried out, and that if appropriate nutrient profiles are achieved, there can be a net sequestration. Lot of politics surrounding geoengineering in general. Whales do sequestor carbon when / if they sink, but regardless of iron fertilization, whales are an insignificant carbon sink, despite this catchy headline.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.