Two arrested for possession of whale vomit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/two-arrested-for-possession-of.html

3 Likes

Knowing that it is valuable I have been known to keep an eye (and nose) out for the stuff when walking the beach near here. I had no idea it was regulated, is it possible to get by killing whales?

4 Likes

Unfortunately yes.

11 Likes

and as it ages, starts producing a sweet smell,

Gosh, that could be my byline.

25 Likes

https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/42/moby-dick/772/chapter-91-the-pequod-meets-the-rose-bud/

Especially sick whales, according to Melville.

3 Likes

claiming that its consumption helps increase the libido

Well, that’s a new one for me, at least as a claim for ambergris. I guess something being sufficiently expensive is by itself enough to get people to start thinking that. Someone should start selling dirt for tens of thousands of dollars and making that claim. (They can say it’s special dirt that only comes from one particular square meter patch with the special properties.) It’s just as likely to be true as with any of the other substances for which that’s claimed, and it would be less harmful…

1 Like

Their mistake was not putting it in a plastic baggie, and walking around with a large dog.

5 Likes

13 Likes

Precious hamburgers.

5 Likes

Indeed. Dangle a titanium pyramid on top of it to align the crystals of the dirt. Wave a metal thingy around to oxidize or whatever. Sell it for a fortune, I have had several coworkers and a couple of family members who would pay a lot for suitably hocus pocused dirt. (one former coworker spent about $2k for a titanium pyramid with about a 1’ base that he hangs over his bed).

4 Likes

ambergris, is unlawful to possess without a license.

Just try to get an Abergris license. The written test is impossible.

13 Likes

That’s a slightly different market. And one that seems pretty well saturated, given all the products I see in that category. They’re probably already selling super-expensive magic dirt, since they are for water, air, salt and other minerals…

3 Likes

In India, it seems. It’s not in, say, the UK.

7 Likes

It could! I can smell you right now from here!

6 Likes

It’s nice, isn’t it?

6 Likes

Crikey, that pyramid would weigh nearly a hundred pounds then (assuming a 1’ x 1’ x 1’ pyramid). Would not be funny if it gave way. Generally speaking it seems like a bad idea to hang heavy things over your bed. Hope he doesn’t live in an earthquake prone area.

1 Like

Their mistake was not having Mickey arrange the sell at Wonder Wharf.

3 Likes

But it is illegal in, say, the United Sates.

2 Likes

For clarification, it is not a solid pyramid, it is a pyramid frame.

1 Like

Seen it a bunch of times. Contractor skipped out before finishing it. Family is left with the pyramid building mortgage, but can’t move it. Neighbor hood is blighted with a unfinished pyramid eyesore.

Damn pyramid schemes.

5 Likes