What Abandonware Game Are You Playing?

3 Likes

I agree 100%. I still play BF42 on private servers. Thereā€™s only a couple with enough people, but they have decent admins.

2 Likes

Amusingly two of my favorite games, strife: quest for the sigil and system shock, ended up becoming commercial again after spending decades as abandonware.

Yes I bought both because while nightdive didnā€™t make either, theyā€™re rewarding fan efforts to keep the party going and are in th process of trying to do moreā€¦ extensive facelift projects.

Beyond those two? Dungeon keeper (has a really good fan made launcher/wrapper for windows.)

Iā€™ve heard Rossā€™s game dungeon forums have ripped the map geometry from test drive 3.

Really wanna give quarintine a spin after watching that game dungeon. Even more wanting there to be an engine update to it to fix some of the more glaring bugs and annoyances.

2 Likes

Iā€™m more partial to GZdoom myself (works with all the doom engine games: doom/2/expansions, hexen/heretic, strife, and a couple other projects that are standaloen but use the doom engine thatā€™s come out since.

3 Likes

As it is the law I have commander keen on my computer and my phone.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been forever since I played it, but I need to get out ā€œBattleTech: The Crescent Hawkā€™s Inceptionā€ again. Was it awesome, or do I just love it because I first played it when I was 12?

4 Likes

OMG did I love that game. Iā€™m horrible at most games, and when playing through missed a very important, very easy to see thing, so my game lasted forever. Which I was happy about, because I love the turn based combat and trading. I recommended it to some classmates who bought and finished it in a few hours. They thought, and informed me, that I was an idiot.

There was a game around the same time that had similar gameplay, but was based in Martian colonies. Anyone know the name?

ETA: Thank you abandonware! Mars Saga (although it seems the version I had was Mines of Titan)

I got stuck at one point and managed to break the game by crossing from one city to another, in the way only a bored child can do, by relentless walking over the surface instead of accomplishing the mission and taking the vehicle that would have become available.

I didnā€™t have a lot of games but I loved the ones I had; looking at images of Mechwarrior and Gunship are bringing back some seriously good memories.

3 Likes

Loved the Keen games. I pull them out periodically.

Also old shooters like Blood, Heretic, Hexen, Shogo, Blood 2, etc.

And of course all them LucasArts and similar adventure games. Fate of Atlantis, Innocent Until Caught, Original Monkey Island (VGA/CD only for me thanks).

3 Likes

Yep tried the remastered day of the tentacle. Aparently my memory is working too well. I do this then this now this swap cronojohns do the other. Oh and the games finished. Well that was a good hour and a half.

2 Likes

Three words: Command & Conquer. Iā€™m a huge fan of the series, even the really campy shit. Noā€¦ especially the really campy shit.

I also enjoy playing MDK for the umpteenth time. That game was brilliant in all sorts of ways. I used to have a ritual where one of the very first things Iā€™d do when I set up a new computer system, or wipe my hard drive and start fresh, was install MDK and play through.

Obviously: Doom and Hexen.

Quake II is underrated. Itā€™s not as groundbreaking as Doom, but itā€™s a solid game, and the engine spawned many classics, like the original Half-Life, which is also abandonware in my book.

If you donā€™t know whatā€™s behind that door, I donā€™t know if we can be friends.

Of course, Iā€™m also deeply in love with the old 2D Monkey Island series.

Finally, thereā€™s this:

I wish the picture was bigger, but hellā€¦ itā€™s probably native resolution!

Sometimes I see myself playing a well-adjusted modern remake of this gameā€¦ and then I wake up.

ETA: Mandatory after expressing my love of Half-Life.

4 Likes

Battle chess good choice.

1 Like

Iā€™m about 80% sure that I could walk someone through DotT in its entirety without ever needing to look at a screen. I think Iā€™ve also played it on every phone Iā€™ve had for the last 12 years, because the people who put their time into ScummVM are princes among men.

Remastered Full Throttle is out next month though, and thatā€™s one Iā€™ve never played more than an hour ofā€¦so thatā€™ll be good.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.