What are NFTs?

You can, but NFTs seem to be appealing to a collector’s mentality, which is fairly close to a hoarder’s mentality and sometimes a gambler’s mentality. For people like that – especially ones with money to burn, but others too – it’s less about the thing itself than about the ownership of the thing and how that ownership defines them as a person (and perhaps about the ability to speculate on it financially). This is just giving those types digital stuff to collect.

I’m looking into NFTs on behalf of a client who deals in physical collectibles and art and whose customer base has this mentality, but I’ll be taking my own billables in fiat currency, thankyewvermuch.

The creator royalties functionality is the most interesting part of NFTs for me – anything that puts more money in an artist’s pocket is a good thing. There are probably applications for this concept that don’t involve blockchain, or at least not a wasteful Bitcoin-style implementation.

Personally, though, I don’t have mindset that sees much value in these items. The requirement of using cryptocurrencies to buy and sell NFTs is off-putting for me as well.

8 Likes