What are your chances of going to prison?

They took er jerbs!

1 Like

Correlation does not prove causation… sorry I can’t say that a keep a straight face :smiley:

2 Likes

you’re using a broad brush here, is there a particular set of comments that irritates your own biases or is the entire discussion something unfit to discuss? conversely, are there any comments here you find useful or intelligent? do you think the u.s. incarceration rate is reasonable? even if you consider only the incarceration rate for whites, we have a higher rate than most other industrialized nations. is the rest of the world doing it wrong?

you obviously have opinions, would you mind sharing them?

3 Likes

Why do you assume that’s not what I’m doing? :wink:

Isn’t this data kind of useless without data on the change (if any) in high school graduation rates?

2 Likes

Environmental lead promoting violence in the 50’s through the 70’s is the claim. I wouldn’t be surprised if it also has to do with this being the first generation not born to a generation who fought a war, the kind with serious casualties, family and personal sacrifice on behalf of everyone in society, and an ominous preparation on behalf of every adolescent male with a chance at a real life to instead answer the call of either the draft board or their own sense of duty.

1 Like

You are right but I’m not hearting it.

2 Likes

At this rate there won’t be money in the coffers to educate prison guards!

Prison Guard Education Requirements

1 Like

Absolutely! Make it a felony for blacks to drop out! See how efficient the justice system becomes when principals merely need to file an absence report. And those felons will never vote again! That will teach them good old-fashioned values.

3 Likes

I think they are called, “Antebellum Values”…

1 Like

Thanks for the link to “Caught.” The basic gist of the review is that the whole thing is more complicated than just one reduced topic. Race does play a part, but there’s plenty more to it.

Caught shows us that the American prison state is truly a fearsome hydra, an “awesome power” that is “highly adaptive” to changing circumstances. We must be too.

1 Like

But we’ve really made progress on race relations— the president is black, after all. /s

1 Like

I think that’s probably right, but those with less resources end up disproportionately serving time, a rich white kid selling pot is more likely to get out of it vs. a poor black kid.

The three strike laws that were very popular for a while now probably helped.

2 Likes

you’re right and in many states now as an indigent you not only get an overworked, inattentive lawyer but the state will also charge you for it and hold you for a longer time if you can’t make the payments for it.

2 Likes

And here we were, thinking that debtor’s prisons were a thing of the past… :frowning:

4 Likes

Well, being black itself is almost a felony now, especially if you add “poor” to it. Cf. fed report on nefarious police and court practices in Ferguson.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned yet the best book I’ve read on this topic, Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow. It’s been out long enough now (2012?) for some critiques to arise, but none I’ve read convincingly debunk its main premises. Here’s a review:

http://clcjbooks.rutgers.edu/books/new_jim_crow.html

4 Likes

Guess it’s time to start buying stock in privatized prison companies. That way when we all end up in prison we can still vote on how the company does business.

2 Likes

Your invocation of a divisive rhetorical shibboleth. Or, if you prefer less syllables, your “dog whistle”.

But you seem like an intelligent person, so I hope I’m assuming wrong.

How is “White privilege” a dog whistle? Even if you disagree with the concept as a paradigm or useful construct, it’s not a dog whistle. A dog whistle implies something that indicates views without expressing them directly. White privilege is very clear about what it is intended to mean… unless- you missed the sarcasm of my OP… But I’m still not sure which way you (mis)interpreted it.

Do you think white privilege is a concept invented to divide people? Or do you think I think that?

2 Likes