Laughing Stanford rapist Brock Turner to be released after only 3 months in prison for rape

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/29/laughing-stanford-rapist-brock.html

1 Like

Never has the phrase “I want to find this guy in a dark alley and beat the crap out of him” been so utterly appropriate and “reap-what-you-sow”.

Putting my rage aside, what better illustration of how white privilege works than this? American prisons are notoriously designed around punitive action, not rehabilitation, but this was a slap on the wrist, and a dainty slap at that. So now they’re releasing a unrehabilitated rapist back into the general population who has been implicitly told “Rape all you want–if you get caught, the worst you’ll have to deal with is a summer in jail.” Meanwhile, anyone who doesn’t share his background gets to feel the full force of the American penal system.

50 Likes

Dude’s probably looking at at least a decade or two of George Zimmerman-style hostility from basically everybody around him. Much less just than an appropriate jail sentence, but it’s something. Lots of other people get easy treatment by the justice system and escape notice altogether.

10 Likes

I don’t believe in repaying violence with violence but I have hardly ever wanted more for someone to have his genitals cut off with a straight razor. Or a bread knife, whatever. But off with them so he doesn’t get to rape any more women.

8 Likes

What a shit weasel. I can only hope karma (yeah it doesn’t really work that way) comes around teaches this fuckboy the lesson the judge was derelict in doing.

1 Like

reposted by popular demand

23 Likes

It’s more punishment than most rapists receive.

14 Likes

Watch your back, Brockie. Maybe think about moving out of Cali.

And that’s the real fuckin’ shame here.

May he never sleep easy again.

22 Likes

In this guy’s case you’d need to take his fingers off.

1 Like

Well, he certainly learned his lesson. As long as said lesson is ‘if you’re white and wealthy, you can get away with shit’

13 Likes

I’m not seeing the issue here.

7 Likes

I’m sure there are numerous unjustly incarcerated white people who would take issue with that. More a case of wealth-and-connections-privilege here I think.

At least the judge won’t be able to do any more harm to society after this.

3 Likes

Don’t promote violence, instead make sure that there is no chance he can escape his past. Make sure that whenever someone looks him up, everyone knows what he has done. It won’t make amends for his horrific actions, but at least he can’t live an easy life.

4 Likes

Take it all. His tongue and his toes, too, why not.

Dad’s friends will get him a job. I’m sure they understand. “There but for the grace of G-d…”

13 Likes

The fact that many white people are in jail does not undercut the “white privilege” argument.

A black kid caught in similar circumstances would almost certainly have faced worse punishment, even if that kid had a wealthy or well-connected family.

25 Likes

The fact that many white people are in jail does not undercut the “white privilege” argument.

if their purported ‘privilege’ failed to prevent them from an unjust conviction or sentencing then yes it does.

perhaps, but so would a white kid with a lack of wealth and connections. maybe white-wealth-and-connections-privilege beats black-wealth-and-connections-privilege beats white-privilege? though it’s a pretty hard thing to prove either way, and probably depends on a lot of contingent factors given each individual case.

2 Likes

White privilege does not mean that every white person is better off than every black person. It just means that a white person is statistically better off than a black person would be in similar circumstances.

In this case Brock Turner had the dual advantages of being white and wealthy. An equally wealthy but non-white person in identical circumstances would not have fared nearly as well.

19 Likes

Oh, oh, I have a better illustration! Another college athlete who told people he was going to help a drunk woman and then raped her: convicted but no prison time at all!

There was another case recently where the student sexually assaulted multiple women and again, no jail time.

8 Likes

No, it’s not. There are actual studies that look at sentencing and factors such as ethnicity, income, and gender. There are so many of them that I’ll let you Google them and read them at your leisure. I’ll get you started with the first study I came across.

14 Likes