What British children's TV used to be like

Who now ?

For those of us not out riding bikes, pretty much…

3 Likes

Sadly, I am from an earlier era and these all passed me by.

Nothing beats Muffin the Mule, for euphemisims, though.

And I’ve only one other thing to say…

Flobalob? Flobadob!

4 Likes

I can never tell if these obscure British children’s television show characters are real or some sort of Scarfolk (-like) modern creations attempting to horrify us. Saying, “And it’s completely real!” doesn’t help because that just makes me think it’s trying really hard to make me think a fictional horror was real.

8 Likes

Why do you think British people are generally so quiet and polite?
We’re still trying to work out whether this current nightmare is real or not and conserving our energy in case it is while trying not to piss it off.
That works in every social situation, and we have been trained by television since childhood.

18 Likes

TISWAS (clips)

3 Likes

And who could forget…

9 Likes

Best 31-second Brexit explainer yet.

7 Likes

Knew it reminded me of something.

6 Likes

I had the good fortune to be in the TISWAS studio one Saturday as it was going out live. Tightly organised mayhem! It was Chris Tarrant at his best.

ETA for our non-UK friends - it’s not you - you probably really do have to be a Brit to get several of the cultural references in the clips.

2 Likes

Sweet Jesus. This elicits close to the same feeling I get from watching Pirro/Giuliani, or basically any interview on F*x news.

2 Likes

Wow, Hartley Hare makes me feel soooo uncomfortable, in a way quite different from Mr. Spanky.

1 Like

I think the Raleigh Chopper was close to child abuse - especially with the positioning of that gear stick.

4 Likes
3 Likes

parody obvs.

Motorhead on TISWAS:

7 Likes

Only very slightly, though. The real thing was just as terrifying

2 Likes

I’ve worked in kids TV for 40 years and that is some of the most creepy ass shit I’ve seen - including my own stuff. Drugs help, of course. And I’ll have whatever he’s having.

1 Like

I sometimes wonder if Round The Bend was a childhood hallucination.

5 Likes

Ah, an American bike style made its way across the pond. The Schwinn Sting-Ray in its three- and five-speed versions, from 1967-1971, had a similar NutBuster™ shift lever.

1 Like