What British children's TV used to be like

Gen-X Uk-er here - I was there and TV was BONKERS.
Check the “Children of the Stones” theme tune

It’s not a satire - this was actually on telly and the show was just as scary as the intro.
The whole series is streamable if you dig around.
After the terrifying bleakness of “Children of the Stones” Scarfolk seems positively utopian.

Sweet dreams!

5 Likes

Feels a bit uncomfortably minstrely, doesn’t it?

Anyway, I like the take The Brothers Chaps had on British children’s TV.

(More where that came from)

1 Like

And I’d thought that it was Madonna who was first with the whole ‘wind in the hair’ thing on stage!

It just occurred to me that our local Romper Room mascot, the Do-Bee bee went to our high school.

Strictly speaking, neither Sapphire nor Steel are elements.

1 Like

There was a particularly fine awful Saturday morning kids TV show called Tricky. It was presented by a very poorly animated green dragon who linked cartoons and such.
There was live outside broadcast in which a producer would wander around some random streets trying to assemble a throng of kids world compete for a prize. A rather good prize, the first episode gave away a Caribbean cruise for 4. The method for allocating the cruise involved throwing a dead trout into the middle of a scrum of children and the one who emerged holding the fish got the holiday.
Then Princess Diana wrapped herself around a concrete pillar and it went away.

3 Likes

The people who came of age in the Second Summer of Love did some serious drugs before they all went off and got jobs. Interesting times.

2 Likes

How about:

• Codename Icarus: secretive thinktank manipulates child prodigies into creating terror weapons
  • Knights of God: in 2020 [!!], Britain is a fascist theocratic dictatorship
  • Chocky: E.T., if E.T. were a glowing ball of light with a creepy-ass voice
3 Likes

We’re only a few years behind schedule.

4 Likes

Let us not forget, Pob.

I wish I could.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.