What did the courts just do the NSA spying?

[Permalink]

1 Like

One judge added: The government shouldn’t have secret laws. The government argued that its interpretation of surveillance laws was a secret, and the court spanked them for it, saying that a law that’s “shrouded in secrecy” lacked legitimacy.

That seems richly deserving of a constitutional amendment right there. Let’s assuage the court’s “concerns” and spell it out: For laws to have any enforcavilty, they must be public. Attempting to pass and act on secret law should itself be a crime.

14 Likes

Good. When can we expect the removal of the splitters?

https://www.eff.org/search/site/Mark%20Klein

Also, does anyone here believe for a second that they use an algorithm that stops capturing after the salutation, and starts again at the signature line? (IOW, ‘meta’ = ‘another lie from the professional liars’)?

1 Like

If you defy Robert A Katzmen, he gains the power of Sherman Anti Anti Crush, which delivers a crushing blow to the plaintiff shattering them into at least six pieces. His favorite weapon for this maneuver, strangely, is a Skymall replica of Mograines Might from World of Warcraft.

If you defy Dennis Jacobs, oddly he turns into a homoculus of Woody Allen. He then proceeds to recite Chaucer–in middle English of all things–till the ghost of Strom Thurmond appears and tells him to knock it off.

If you defy Jose Cabranes, his mighty power is to politely inform you that he was Chief Justice of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review, so STFU and let me do my mutha fuckin’ job, ya gobshites. This makes everyone in the courtroom smile, and lightly applaud.

1 Like

If you defy Rosemary Pooler, she dons a fetching tricorn hat and a green cape. Out of her pocket is whisked a small, silver penny whistle which she uses to play a series of jaunty jigs and reels. Unbeknownst to the individuals in the courtroom, blood has slowly been pouring in from the cracks under the doors.

Everyone dies but Rosemary. Everyone dies.

If you defy Reena Raggi, three things happen. A hackey sack appears in the hands of every individual in the courtroom. Second, a slight wave of marijuana smoke wafts through the room, but gets no one high. She smiles quietly to herself, the lights go out, and blacklights suddenly illuminate the previously unseen script for Fight Club scrawled on the wall.

1 Like

If you defy Richard Wesley–and this is a sight to behold–he shrinks down to a miniature, 1.5 foot version of Wil Wheaton. He then yells, “I have eight Grammy’s, you know!!”, and no one can figure out if he is talking about the award or eight grandmother’s. Neither is true.

He takes a nap with a teddy bear, and gradually resumes his normal form.

1 Like

I was at an open mic in Northampton MA over a decade ago where Kurt Vonnegut did just that.

Edit: This video must have been around that time, but we got the performance without the benefit of the band.

(the actual Chaucer starts at 2:40 or so):

6 Likes

(Hahaha, yes, I am actually trying to make these little jokes tie in with reality >:D. And that is just the thing Vonnegut and a hard core English major would do. I love that you actually got to see it happen IRL.)

2 Likes

Given the Eleventh Circuit’s decision in Davis, is there now a circuit split on warrantless metadata collection? If so, don’t expect much change. SCOTUS will rubberstamp any decision that yields the ‘right’ result. If warrantless surveillance happens to catch a criminal, well, it yielded the right result. If it doesn’t incriminate you, then you have no standing to sue.

I don’t suppose anyone wants to start a class action lawsuit against them over this? You know… to actually hold them accountable?

What should concern people is their ability then to coerce and manipulate. If they don’t like you they can just go through every communication, every social media post, every email you’ve sent, just to find something to manipulate or incriminate you with. You should sue, because this is a digital weapon designed to trap people.

1 Like

That would be awesome. But… There is no way to ever know that you would be a valid member of the class, since there is no way to know if you were ever hoovered.

At least that’s what the government would say, and probably the courts too.

1 Like

I think they’ve already said as much…

If I haven’t said it recently, I for one really appreciate you keeping on top of these issues even though it isn’t your day job. It takes a great load off the rest of us who have an interest but also have other things to do.

1 Like

Couldn’t you sue in order to discover if you have standing?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.