What happens to Peeps in a vacuum?

[Permalink]

1 Like

Also, the first person who comments with nothing to say except to complain about the orientation of the video gets eaten by @Falcor.

3 Likes

what type of sauce do i need to go bath in before my complaint?

2 Likes

Interesting was the article about Stephen Colbert and the amount of science he covers/covered and whether this will change that was also on slate

Now to go get a giant vat of garlic butter because of the horrible orientation of that video :smiley:

Oooo, I just found a bag full of peeps on my desk (thanks Frida!) – would love to go to the lab and experiment and take some proper video, but these things need to get into my belly posthaste.

2 Likes

1 Like

First, inflation. Then, collapse.

so it is economical.

1 Like

Weird. I always assumed vacuum collapse would be more catastrophic.

I think the criticism would be wrong in this case anyway… the vertical nature of the subject lends itself better to portrait orientation, and will actually look bigger on a mobile phone than if it was in landscape (same might also be true for letterboxed video on a monitor).

1 Like

Reminded me of this:

A bit off topic, but this and the movie Gravity had me wondering about the human body in a sudden vacuum. I understand the boiling that will occur, but is it going to be more like swelling and oozing, or would it be more explosive?

Technically I don’t think you want to be unprotected in a vacuum regardless.

1 Like

In space, no one can hear you peep.

3 Likes

For sure. But many Sci Fi stories will demonstrate everything from slow leeks in a spacesuit to momentary excursions with no protection at all: “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy says that if you hold a lungful of air you can survive in the total vacuum of space for about thirty seconds.”

I’m guessing a person would pop like a soda can.

Mmmm, dried up peeps are the best, but I haven’t had them since I was a kid (perhaps they just don’t harden up like they used to). (I used to freeze them to simulate the crunch effect, but it only lasted for a wee bit of time before they got chewy)

I was coming with ‘like the real-estate market’ but you basically beat me to it. Cheers.

I broke my like button on this.

Coincidentally enough I was reading the Wikipedia article on space exposure just last night.

Few humans have experienced these four conditions. Joseph Kittinger experienced localised ebullism during a 31 kilometres (19 mi) ascent in a helium-driven gondola. His right-hand glove failed to pressurise and his hand expanded to roughly twice its normal volume accompanied by disabling pain. His hand took about 3 hours to recover after his return to the ground.

Gyaaaahh…

The article on uncontrolled decompression is quite informative too and covers some of the myths surrounding explosive decompression. Seems like human bodies are quite resilient and our skin can handle a drop of one atmosphere. Although I’m not about to volunteer.

3 Likes

Wow, good stuff! Thanks!

To be pedantic, it would appear that the collapse only occurs after the peeps are re-exposed to air.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.