What happens when you ask British Alexa to calculate 10 to the power of 308

If I asked it what 1 divided by zero is, could I crash the Amazon cloud ?

2 Likes

I recall having a bunch of fun setting up long division problems on the big old calculator that my grandfather had brought home from the store to do the books. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kd3R_RlXgc

“Alexa, do your impression of Drew from Office Space

I recommend you ask Siri “what is 0/0”.

:cookie:

1 Like

“Yeeruzz yeeruzz yeeruzz yeeruzz…”

1 Like

I wish she sang like this.

2 Likes

Count the zeroes :slight_smile:

No, of course, in the UK we take actions to make our closest allies impose trade sanctions on us. sigh

At least we still get to say zed right. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think that, for the first one, the person used text-to-speech to generate the initial question. I’m not sure why. Maybe because they didn’t want their privacy invaded by giving away their voice?

I notice a lot of text-to-speech in video tutorials, but I usually think that’s because it’s a non-native English speaker with a strong accent.

1 Like

I like the the “oh oh oh” gets faster toward the end.

I’ll have what Alexa’s having.

5 Likes

Ladies and germs, the first prolonged cybernetic orgasm, as portrayed in " When 010 Met 101".

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that this scenario could be true, but I think it would take some real mental gymnastics to be paranoid enough about your privacy that you want to mask your voice in a YouTube video, yet not paranoid enough to stop yourself from buying and installing a always-on listening device that sends your voice to a Amazon server.

2 Likes

In Soviet States of Britain it is Alexa who questions you.

Or maybe Alexa is a drummer? Cue old drummer joke, “How can you tell when a drummer is knocking at your door? They always speed up towards the end.”

1 Like

Or say “that’s 10 to the power of 380”. Oh, wait.

I get it.

You did it didn’t you? You had to go and ask that question. Now my email stopped working. Thank you Mr. Goodman for your thoughtlessness. :grin:

Reminds me of a Steve Reich composition.

Turning on Closed Captioning is weird too.

2 Likes

This was my first reaction after seeing the videos too!

1 Like

The Google Assistant has no time to waste with your nonsense.

I’m interested that it added some accuracy for you.

10308 became 1.0 x 10308.

I wonder if future iterations of Google Assistant will become even more accurate. 1.000 x 10308???

1 Like