What is the copyright law surrounding Ellen's famous Oscars group selfie?

Those are still better, albeit a little disturbing, but in a good way. Not so much vanity.

1 Like

But every self portrait is both vanity and reflecting the circumstances and world around it. I’m not fan of the selfie, but I certainly recognize it as something that a lot of people like to do. But if, for example, a model who makes their living having their photo taken creates one, is that any less of an artistic effort than ol’ Ansel up there?

For someone like Cindy Sherman the selfie is an entire body of work. You can say she’s making a statement about the ego and how she wants to be viewed, but isn’t Ellen or anyone else just doing the same thing?

so if a selfie catches a murder in progress, is it admissable as evidence in a trial? What if the camera-holder is a law enforcement officer without a warrant?

IANAL. That said, the judge would need to determine the former. The latter would lead to a lot of inquiries as to why the officer was taking selfies instead of stopping a murder.

Look, it’s a photo in the end. That the photographer is the main subject is of little consequence in the end. Would any photo of a murder be admissible evidence? It depends on the trial and the judge. Do dashboard cameras record things without warrants? You bet. Is that sometimes admissible? You bet. Are they sometimes thrown out? You bet.

So, the answer would be maybe. Depends on the case. You know law, it’s filling in the grey areas as best it can.

I agree that a legal system is needed. I just think today’s laws are written for lawyers and not for the people to which they apply.
Our congress critters pass laws every session which they themselves do not understand and for which they are forced to rely on an interpretation given them. When our lawmakers cannot understand the law as written, the system has a problem. When our lawmakers don’t actually write our laws but instead pass laws they themselves have not read nor could read which were written by interested third parties, it becomes a joke.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.