What it's like to have aphantasia, the inability to create mental pictures

Wow. I have interior dialoging all day every day. Huh.
Ok yeah how do those other people think?

:exploding_head:

The human species has wild and novel variations.
I can’t really fathom how we have gotten as “far” as we have, TBH.

4 Likes

Yeah, weird.

5 Likes

Visualization Practice in Tantra

i think practice has got to be at least some part of it. visualization seems like it’d be a skill or a muscle… for those that have it even a little i mean

i myself am not sure how well i “see” things. i definitely “feel” them though. a sense of dimension and shape. when i call up a visual memory, it’s like the sense of that thing - i know what colors there are - but i don’t literally see the color

i do some computer coding, and that’s how i “see” code as well. everything sits somewhere in space, has a sense of shape and connection. i do a lot of “pushing” and “pulling” to see how bits fit together and i find it forever strange that the aesthetic shape in my head has any bearing on whether the code is correct… and yet it somehow does

this is totally how i feel too. and while im not sure i “see” them the way you’re describing, i can still remember every detail. :confused:

similarly, repeat watching of tv shows doesn’t do a lot for me because i usually remember it all once ive seen the minute or two. kind of a bummer that. ( though if it’s dialogue heavy, i don’t remember nearly as much. )

i was just talking to myself about this an hour or so ago while doing chores. specifically: wow, brain. can’t you take a break?

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.