See your own brain waves in this trippy optical illusion

[Permalink]

I must be braindead beacuse I donā€™t see any flickering. Ah, that explains a lotā€¦

2 Likes

I sometimes see a similar flickering when I close my eyes, especially if Iā€™ve been rubbing them. I always assumed it was sort of the same thing as noise on the sensor of a digital camera, meaning my retina is just sending off random signals, but if we can in fact ā€œseeā€ our own alpha waves, I wonder if thatā€™s whatā€™s actually going on.

I see the flickering, I think I now know why I find the sound of a large V8 at idle so appealing.

It doesnā€™t move for me. However it does make me slightly nauseous when I look at it directly.

I canā€™t see magic eye photos either.

Me too. Does that mean Iā€™m a zombie?

I see orange and dark blue abstract spirals but no pulsing.

| Optical illusions are usually pretty neat.

On the contrary, I find them annoying. Like CBT, meditation or lucid dreaming, Iā€™m just not interested in these mind games when real life is so confusing already.

I see that when looking directly at it. Are you looking at it in your periphery as instructed?

I like how it looks like itā€™s flapping when you scroll up and down really quickly.

1 Like

If you are does that mean that you will see the brainwaves of the last brain you ate?

2 Likes

Ah, ok. I see it wobble now. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ow. My alpha waves must be dangerous. The illustration was sort of throbbing irregularly in my peripheral vision and then I got a headache.

I wonder if it isnā€™t microsaccades, or other tiny movements influenced by, say, oneā€™s heartbeat and/or breathing. At least the latter would be testable. Maybe the former too if there is a drug that will (temporarily) paralyze the extraocular muscles.
On the other hand, I canā€™t think of a reason why those would affect the afterimage also.

I notice it throb with my heart rate, which is usually 45-50 beats a minute at rest.

I too am apparently brain-dead.

1 Like

It gave me the ā€˜3DS headacheā€™, like looking at 3D images. Must be messing with my focus.

For me at least it flickered much faster than my heart rate or breathing. Maybe at like 10fps.

1 Like

I figured I was broken

Me too. Itā€™s like a strobe light. My brain is in a permanent rave state.