Stare at the center of this video, then look around your room and hallucinate

Originally published at: Stare at the center of this video, then look around your room and hallucinate | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Nope. But then my eyes kept sliding out of focus all the time, like you’re supposed to do when looking at one of those ‘magic eye’ 3D thingies.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the early 1980s when my ex subscribed to Omni magazine. They had a pull out page to rotate on your turntable. We spent a fair amount of time trying to trick our eyes. Didn’t work very well. He said “f-it” and took a hit of real acid.

16 Likes

Disappointed again B B! I demand to be tripping balls, Right Now!

11 Likes

Worked for me…my eyes kept changing focus on the center during the video, but the room seemed warped when I looked around. I’d paused a show in the middle of a game simulation, and those scenes nearly made my eyes cross!

12 Likes

I had that in high school! Worked pretty well on me and my friends - we would take it into the school library were they had turntables in the back to and recruit people to try it out!

5 Likes

Stare at the center of this video, then look around your room and hallucinate

Is it a video of a Trump rally? :thinking:

4 Likes

I always wonder when someone will manage to design an illusion like tihs that manages to permanently reprograms your vision so you get stuck with warped vision.

4 Likes

Didn’t work for me. In fact…

Nnnnnnnnnnnoooooo!!!

tumblr_mb9y4iFlCs1qmmrpjo1_500

4 Likes

I was afraid Mr. Rick Astley would appear after some minutes staring at the vídeo.

rick astley 80s GIF

9 Likes

Just for the record, if the video ended in a jump scare, I would never forgive you.

12 Likes

tumblr_mo0vioQXHD1rknv2lo1_500

12 Likes

Well, how about 3 months?

6 Likes

Easy-peasy

ezgif-6-1f7ed9e2accd

What? Not what you wanted?

2 Likes

I think the very mechanism that makes this illusion possible, the incredible ability of your brain to compensate for changed input, is what makes it impossible for it to be permanent

4 Likes

That was pretty cool for about a minute. But now I feel kind of gross. I guess I should have expected that to happen. Stupid body and its limitations.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Interesting short read on how the human brain can compensate for long term forced image reversal:

1 Like

The effect lasted about 5 seconds for me, and it was neat until it stopped.

1 Like

Came here to post on the McCullough effect, went away satisfied. If you want to try it, one or two people report seeing the colours after months, but most people will loose everything but a very subtle tint within a few minutes. You will probably be okay, but don’t do it if you are grading a film in the afternoon.

There are perspective-like ‘which line is longer?’ illusions which have no adaption time. There are lots of illusions that have a characteristic adaption time of about 30 seconds where you stare at a dot in the middle, and they last for a few seconds.

The McCullough is an outlier. It is hard to see why it happens, or what part of the brain stores this information. But we know very regular patterns of Iines can cause migraine. Most scenes do not contain parallel lines, but going up a broad flight of stairs can make your head swim.

Learning to see is in effect a permanent illusion. Western people living in square boxes tend to interpret lines as perspective, which gives us the Muller-Layer illusion. It is said that people who are unfamiliar with straight lines (a bit hard to find, these days) do not see it…

2 Likes