What to do about Japanese knotweed?

Thank you. I’d never posted here, previously. Just, I’d honestly wondered if anybody’d seen the irony in a pretty reasonable panic over a green tidal wave of something they were paying a fortune to buy by the milligram? I’d remembered all the blog agreggators doing this, back in 2016, as David Brock’s CTR ended dissent, whistleblowing heros, journalists’ careers and basically, dissemination of true, or accurate information?

1 Like

I wonder what you meant, though: were you thanking me for my willingness to discuss, thus asking me to develop my argument? Or do you just appreciate my input that I consider glyphosate to be one element of effectively citing Fallopia in your garden?

1 Like

Was thanking you for all your input in this discussion thread.

(would that I had the kind of year-round soil moisture to keep something like Fallopia even alive but that is a kvetch for a different day, surely)

I have several colleagues, whom I love, who work for the [UT-Austin - Lady Bird Johnson] Wildflower Center and the whole operation1 uses glyphosates extensively. Relies on them. So I am familiar with at least my friends’ pro-glyphosate arguments. If you feel like developing your argument in-thread or PMing me, go for it.

Users of glyphosates also include these folks, whom I completely adore and their mission is praiseworthy:

Please excuse their web site, it looks like it’s still 1998 over there but dang they have amazing seeds. Was shocked to learn a decade ago that Native American Seed had been deploying glyphosates as a last resort.

Sorry if I sounded super terse in post previous, we have been getting on-and-off-again flooding and it’s almost a daily occurrence at this point. Lots of time AFK.2

1. If you’re ever in Austin same time as I am, and if you have the time, I’d love to take you for a walkthrough and hear your feedback. Iced tea and the cost admission on me!

2. It’s an emergency every frkn day practically speaking.
    The landscape around me, draining itself, has new magic in it when construction, paving, building and developments of massive suburbs replete with scalp-and-top-with-red-death and tons (literally, of concrete, of asphalt, caliche roadbase, etc.) of impervious cover now mean that houses built decades prior suddenly have flooding problems. Not a single regulating authority can be made to care, either, though we have tried.
    A nearby rancher with three generations of family memory on his land was just informed that his 100+ year old house is now, suddenly, in the flood plain. He had called surveyors in to factcheck, as the water in his creek came within 30 feet of the porch of the house in grandmother was born in. Sorry for OT. So it goes.

1 Like

Thanks for the invite - not likely to be realised into an iced tea talk, I’m half a world away, my US friends are nowhere near Texas and would have spoken out priority invites. :wink:

No worries, BTW. I understand where you are coming from, but as someone who has seen powerful NGOs fight against the wrong enemy and alienating important allies by absolute stances (and has seen so from the inside!), I like to discuss with people who are strongly opposing things I do oppose for different reasons, and sometimes not absolutely but only conditionally. Genetic modification is such an area, glyphosate another. I don’t want both applied industrially, but I see them as important tools for certain tasks, under specific conditions.

In the case of glyphosate, local per-plant application does the job of killing a plant without killing anything else (mostly), and is less toxic and less harmful than most other alternatives. Any large-scale application, leaf-spraying of a single stand (mostly) included, is a no-go for me, but I know I could be convinced otherwise in specific cases.

Good luck with your dry ground, flooded or not.
Gardening advice from someone I know doing sustainable sustenance agriculture in the Sahel: start mulching, and try to install runoff barriers, e.g. half-moon micro-dikes out of pebbles and stones found in your garden. Given time, life, uh, finds a way. (If you are interested and read french, systeme demi-lune and systeme Zaï might be really interesting search terms for areas as dry and prone to surface floods as Texas.)

2 Likes

A page out of my playbook, entirely. Well-spotted and well-stated! +1!

Author’s training started in Africa, btw.

ETA: Merci beaucoup pour cela

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.