What would beer be like if it was brewed on a generation ship?

The Federation starship Enterprise has quietly been doing this for years now:

8 Likes

Yeah. I was more trying to get at the fact that you need to continually produce those. However you’re storing it, it only remains viable/reliable for so long. Even if you are running a seperate, rigorously controlled, small colony. You are doing that by brewing and changes will happen.

And since we’re talking generation ship we’re more talking about keeping consistent, usable strains going for centuries. You look at very old breweries and they do not have banked original strains dating back particularly far. But they have kept consistent strains or families of strains going for a pretty long time.

3 Likes

Damn, I love this community!!

5 Likes

Once the ship is up to speed, assuming they brew enough beer, they can use the carbon dioxide produced for directional thrusters. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So Long And Thanks For All The Wort?

8 Likes

Considering the effect on human intelligence, I have to assume that all goes somewhere. Like the Law of Conservation of Intelligence or some such…

That’s it!! Holy shit, they are harvesting our intelligence using alcohol as their smuggling vessel! Where are the ancient aliens people when you need them? :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I’ll just leave this here, with this quote

Through some miracle, it actually tasted nothing like it smelled. In fact, there was very little flavor other than sour, watery alcohol. It’s hard to believe this started out as a bag of fruit snacks and grape juice. Yet somehow these ingredients went from sweet and child-like to harsh and alcoholic quicker than Lindsay Lohan.

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000373.php

7 Likes

This is new information…what else did these aliens bring?

And who brought Danelectro guitars, Cobb salad, and Irish Catholics?

Some deviants, I’m sure…

1 Like

Piff, I want it all going to beer…BEERBEERBEERBEERBEER! You got that? Food cycle, what-evah.

2 Likes

Sir, can you place your hands on the yellow circles, please!

4 Likes

Don’t blame the Aliens for the Catholics, that’s earth grown misery…

3 Likes

What he describes is less what we call “beer” and more what we would call “funky tasting saké”. Still, in a pinch, I’d drink it.

1 Like

99% recycled urine. So pretty much like beer here.

1 Like

1980s America, absolutely. Nowadays? Not so much. Lots of good brews out there. And some major brand schlock.

2 Likes

I’m thinking that a generation ship probably has to recycle everything in the depths of space. Including waste. But yes, domestic beer has gotten immeasurably better in the last generation or so.

3 Likes

The names Schaefer, Schmidt’s, and Schlitz make me nostalgic, but beer definitely tastes better now. Sometimes, it seems there are too many choices. A recent trip to the local beer garden gave me the same reaction as a supermarket cereal aisle. :astonished: :confounded:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.