Whatcha Readin'?

The only Donald I read is Donald Goines.

1 Like

The only Donald I read is @Donald_Petersen

12 Likes

Updated. Finished last pair of books. Now reading:

Like Jedi, my books are always a pair: one fiction, one non-fiction (and then two or three of each that I started but havenā€™t picked up againā€¦)

2 Likes

Burglarā€™s guide to the city sounds interesting, from a red team perspective. How far into it are you?

1 Like

A few chapters. So far, it is mostly about how burglars see the city differently. I just read a chapter on Los Angeles PD helicopter surveillance and how they see the city interspersed with an infamous LA bank robbery by an uncaught tunneling crew.

1 Like

I hadnā€™t heard of the title, but it struck my interest from the physical security angle. Iā€™ll look up some reviews.

1 Like

I just borrowed The Skies Belong to Us: Love and Terror in the Golden Age of Hijacking, inspired by a recent podcast I listened to about D.B. Cooper.

5 Likes

Very good:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Path-Chinese-Philosophers-Teach/dp/1476777837/

2 Likes

Eastern religion > western religion, thatā€™s for sure. Way more sensible.

Which reminds me, the Nexus series (I mentioned I was reading it upstream) was really quite religious, in the eastern way. I liked it a fair bit, because it was well written, action packed, and had a decent approximation of what was technically possible in the future. Plowed through all 3 books on vacation and Iā€™d definitely recommend them to sci-fi fans.

3 Likes

Xeelee Endurance, collection of shorts, continuation of the Xeelee Sequence, real hard, real good sf.

I Am a Strange Loop

Ploughing through it one more time before I embark on the GEB masterclass.

2 Likes

comics comics comics is what I just finished.
Volume 4 of Terry And The Pirates. Terry, Pat and even The Dragon Lady get properly into fighting the Japanese occupation. Two fisted action and because Caniff wanted to show it wasnā€™t just simple action fare the death of a loved character. It caused quite a stir when it happened.

The dailies run of Wonder Woman which was quite amusing and hooo boy the bondage/domination subtext isnā€™t so subtext.

And volume 10 of the collected Judge Dredd which is what it is but quite fun and now well into stuff I never got to read via reprints on this side of the pond.

Just started The League of Seven a YA Steampunk/Lovecraftian Monster book that came reccomended by one of MrsTobinLā€™s pen pals. The action kicks in early and the world premise is pretty cool.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s so GGM. You just got to go with the absudity and not try too hard, or youā€™ll make yourself crazy.

I remember reading Love in the Time of Cholera and I kept thinking thereā€™s got to be something about the chess set and the unfinished match. Nope.

2 Likes

I love that book! Remember when hijacking was kind of romantic? I loaned out my copy to a friend, which reminds me that I need to get it back.

2 Likes

Iā€™m finishing up the Harry Hole series by Jo NesbĆø. Two more after I finish the one Iā€™m reading. Just in time for The Snowman movie that theyā€™re currently filming (or in post production). Who knew Norway was so violent?:wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m reading Ghost Gifts by Laura Spinella because the big orange site that starts with A said I could. And free too! Well, thatā€™s kind of under selling it.

On paper it sounds exactly like my kind of thing. Paranormal romance. Only I may have read ā€œromanceā€ in the description when it wasnā€™t there. :laughing: No, wait. I re-read the description. ā€œPassion ignitesā€ canā€™t not be romance, right?

Well, at any rate, itā€™s a slow start but I have too many weighty books Iā€™m stalled on reading so itā€™s a nice change.

1 Like

Currently reading Piketty. About halfway through. I alternate between enjoying it and being bored/overwhelmed, but thereā€™s some good stuff in there and Iā€™ll keep going for that, kind of like the Silmarillion :smiley:

Also partway through Neil Gaimanā€™s Trigger Warning.

5 Likes

Currently reading N0S 4A2 by Joe Hill. The author of ā€˜Hornsā€™ (excellent movie, highly recommend) and the son of Stephen King. And I really really like it. Creepy and spooky without being too cheesy. Heā€™s a chip off the old block for sure, but has found his own voice very well.

3 Likes

I am amused to see that one of the main characters of the book still has an active arrest warrant.

3 Likes

Will they ever get an answer? I assume sheā€™s died, but it is amazing that she is/was able to go underground for so long.

1 Like

Thatā€™s been my strategy so far: just let my eyes roll across the words and donā€™t worry too much about their implications until something rises above the background level of (un)interesting.

1 Like