Whatcha Readin'?

Started Empire Games last night.
http://www.tor.com/2016/12/16/excerpts-empire-games-charles-stross/

4 Likes

Watership Down was really good, I read that years ago, and I just finished Seveneves. It wasā€¦interesting. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it cut 300 pages out. It was a bit long and flipped in a weird direction at the end.

1 Like

How about the 259+ pages of orbital mechanics?

My review:

4 Likes

wow that makes the whaling musings of Moby Dick seem like nothing at all.

1 Like

Well I blazed through Roadside Picnic faster than I expected.
A great premise for a story with compelling characters and some deep musings about humanity and the possible or maybe impossible understanding of another species all wrapped up in a damn good sci-fi story.

Now catching up with my to read pile. Starting the E.E. Doc Smith Lensman books again (I never made it past book 2) on the Nook and will have to pick AE Van Vogt of Brian Aldiss for dead tree media.

3 Likes

I find Van Vogt to be unreadable (in prose ā€œstyleā€).

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d go with that! I pretty much agree with your review too, but I thought the very end of the book went off in a sudden wonky direction that came across as making the 2/3s of the book invalid. Itā€™s like staging a gigantic D-Day invasion only to discover the French from The Holy Grail already took over. I finished it because I bought it.

1 Like

Bait, by Chuck Palahnuik. My wife gave me an inscribed copy for my birthday. I am enjoying it. And the art is wonderful.

1 Like

Iā€™ve started it now, a few chapters in. Enjoying it, but feel like I should have read it 20 years ago when I was at university. Not sure that trying to read it right before going to sleep is the right time.

Just picked up The Heart of What Was Lost. I do likes me some Tad Williams.

A Chuck Palahnuik adult colouring book? Hmmā€¦

2 Likes

The Berlin Stories, by Christopher Isherwood. Itā€™s been hanging out on my to-read shelf for a good long while; this seemed like the right time to finally get to it.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Iā€™m finishing the audio-book of Banksā€™ The Player of Games, Iā€™m reading Matter on my phone, finished Greg Bearā€™s The Forge of God last weekend and am working on Anvil of Stars this week. I also got Mark Newgardenā€™s We All Die Alone in the mail on Saturday. I read it a bunch of times at various libraries; it was about d**n time I got a copy of my own. Ex-library, no less. All got used copy of Eddie Campbellā€™s Alec: The Years Have Pants (also used) after being reminded of it on Neil Gaimanā€™s Bookshelf post last week. It was criminally cheap for a NYC-sized phonebook; I wonā€™t be reading that until I finish his Bacchus: vol 1 that Iā€™ve had knocking around for more than a year. Keep getting distractedā€¦

4 Likes

Better than The Quarry?

Isnā€™t everything?

2 Likes

TPoG was one of my favourite Culture books (behind Excession, and maybe Use of Weapons).

3 Likes

The end of TUoW was deeply disturbing and upending.

2 Likes

Roadside Picnic is slight (in terms of page count) as I recall but deliciously dense. Itā€™s on my ā€œleave it to mature another couple of yearsā€ reread list.
Yay for Brian Aldiss too. ā€œLast Ordersā€ is one of my fave short stories of all time, in any tradition or genre.

2 Likes

The lost city of z (and thatā€™s zed not zee)

Great read actually, i hear the film is supposed to be good as well.

4 Likes

I picked up The Book of Joy at the library today. Read about 10 pages while standing in front of the shelf and decided I needed to take it home.

4 Likes

That was my gateway to Banks and my second-favorite after Excession once the dust settled.

Received a copy of this in the mail from an unspecified friend that insisted I would love it, so Iā€™m opening this now:

1 Like