Whatcha Readin'?

I just finished The Heart of What Was Lost. More of a novella than a novel, really. A warm-up for Tad Williams’ new Osten Ard trilogy. A little amuse-bouche, as it were.

1 Like

The Handmaid’s Tale just showed up at the library (after months on hold, as per that other thread about its popularity), so that.

Also have the Vision comic and I’m just about done with G, E & B.

4 Likes

This thread fell of my radar for a few months, but since I just read a book yesterday, it seems timely to be back in the thick of it.

It’s aimed at kids in, say, late elementary/early middle school. So not full-blown YA fiction- a bit younger than that. Full disclosure: I know the author.
Totally excellent read, following her path of picking stories about kids in difficult exploited situations and writing about those situations for kids of that age. It was lovely.

4 Likes

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME.

4 Likes

Astounding Stories of Super-Science, January 1930.

“You lie! You lie!” screamed Bram. “I have shown to all the world that phascalotherium, amphitherium, amblotherium, spalacotherium, and many other orders are to be found in the Upper Jurassic rocks of England, Wyoming, and other places. You—you are the man who denied the existence of the nototherium, of the marsupial lion, in pleistocene deposits! You denied that the dasyuridae can be traced back beyond the pleistocene. And you stand there and lie to me, when you are at my mercy!”

“For God’s sake don’t aggravate him,” whispered Tommy to Dodd. “Don’t you see that he’s insane? Humor him, or we’ll be dead men. Think what the world will lose, if you are never able to go back with your specimens,” he added craftily.

But Dodd, whose eyes were glaring, said a sublime thing: “I have given my life to science, and I will never deny my master!”

2 Likes

and

2 Likes

Review coming in two weeks:

3 Likes

Finished this (a while ago). It was good . . . but not at all comforting :frowning2:

Next up is Italo Calvino, If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler, which has also been on the to-read shelf for some time; I don’t know a thing about it, but I picked it up on a whim at Powell’s because it was a staff recommendation.

3 Likes

Arrived today

5 Likes

I am reading now-non-canon material. Part of me is like, “What’s the point? This isn’t real anymore.” and the other part of me is like, “It’s all fiction anyway, idiot.” :neutral_face:

5 Likes

“Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder” by L. Weschler

It’s about ‘The Museum of Jurassic Technology’ (in Los Angeles), how it came to be, etc. Informative. Hilarious. Deliciously (intentionally) head-scratching. Very quick read!

3 Likes

That sounds great! I love that place.

2 Likes

Just finished Charlie Jane Anders’ All the Birds in the Sky (which is excellent) and am now reading Zone One by Colson Whitehead (which I’m really digging).

5 Likes

Currently making my way through Too Like the Lightning.

Enjoying the world building. Waiting for something to happen.

2 Likes

The bloodline feud - charles stross

Thought it was a good time to start the series since tor were giving it away for free. An interesting look at how you boot strap a feudal economy into an industrial revolution within a generation. While giving us that person-out-of-time perspective that worked so well in glasshouse.

5 Likes

For the second time I’m reading “Plum Island” by Nelson DeMille . . .

3+ (?) of his books have been made into movies, but were all pretty much ‘busts’. “The General’s Daughter” was the most popular of the lame movies; but was a book that I COULD NOT put down,. I’m soo glad I read the book before seeing the movie! (**Note to Hollywood: If you’re going to change or delete 80% of the story, don’t waste our or your time)

I’ve read 7-8 of his books and they’re all just addictive! Plum Island should be a movie. The first time I read it, 15+ years ago, I couldn’t put it down; and it’s the same again.

2 Likes

Keep waiting.

I loved that book though.

3 Likes

Oh gods, I finished Walkaway. I guess I need to write a review.

4 Likes

“If @popobawa4u wrote a utopian novel, this would be it.”

“The Bhagavad Gita of hacker/maker/ burner/open source/git/gnu/wiki/99%/adjunct faculty/Anonymous/shareware/thingiverse/cypherpunk/ LGTBQIA*/squatter/upcycling culture, zipped down into a pretty damned tight techno-thriller with a lot of sex in it.” - Neal Stephenson

11 Likes

That may qualify as the greatest book review I have ever read.

9 Likes