Whatcha Readin'?

The first sentence means exactly the same as the second.

Just don’t try to follow the filepath in the second sentence.

6 Likes

That Neal Stephenson.

4 Likes

I meant to ask about that - i thought it wasn’t out until april? An early signed copy a presume?

3 Likes

Scroll up to my post with the cover. Yes.

3 Likes

Yeah, i also thought it might be one of those fancy pants advance reader copies.

3 Likes

Bought on eBay for $8!

6 Likes

You’ll be buying another copy of course? Since cory won’t see a cut of that ebay purchase. :wink:

3 Likes

I already pre-ordered the signed hardcover.

You do realize Cory gives free copies of all of his books away on his website though?

http://craphound.com/

6 Likes

I do, yeah. Though not with this one for some reason?

2 Likes

Well, it isn’t out yet…

3 Likes

Not with this one, unfortunately. No idea why though.

1 Like

Ah, I suspect it must be something to do with his publisher (Tor) then insisting on it. At least Tor doesn’t put DRM on their books.

1 Like

They give with one hand and take with the other eh? I jest though, i like tor books and they’re one of the few major publishers i can legit buy drm-free copies.

1 Like

I strip the DRM from all ebooks I buy but I buy a lot from them and I appreciate that they don’t add it.

5 Likes

James Gleick, Time Travel.

3 Likes

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by that bearded guy with too many initials. I’ve seen the TV versions, but not read one of the books before. His Fevre Dream vampires-cum-Twain has been a favorite of mine since 1993 and I loved the Wild Cards series up to around book 10 or so.

Also a book on (English) Fairground Architecture! Not sure how I found it, but when my eyes alit on the spine I could not resist (following my oft-be-shused second-youngest through the grown-up floor of a library I had only seen the children’s portion thereof before. So many books! I reluctantly parted with two at checkout, and still struggled to carry them and resisting son to the car).

4 Likes

I’ve been reading a lot in recent months - have to think back what all.

I finally finished Stephen Mitchell’s The Bone Clocks this fall; after having stalled on it for a long time, I finally hit a certain point where it became compelling and raced through the rest of it, followed by Slade House which kind of goes with it. Now slowly reading through Black Swan Green.

Also read and enjoyed Too Like the Lightning and All The Birds in the Sky, like nearly every other Boinger on this thread, it seems.

Alastair Reynold’s Revelation Space trilogy - grand space opera, a good read but overall left me feeling jaded.

Steven Brust’s The Incrementalists - didn’t go at all where I was thinking it would, turning into more of a murder mystery, but interesting.

William Gibson’s The Peripheral - good for recent Gibson, I thought.

Tim Powers’ Declare - I’ve already read it a couple times, but it grabbed hold of me compulsively because I had it out to loan a friend who’d never read any of his books, so I ended up rereading the whole thing first.

Now I’m rereading Sarah Monette’s complete Melusine quadralogy aka “The Doctrine of Labyrinths”. I finally ordered used copies of the first 3 books because I only had the 4th, found at a library used book sale. These deserve more explanation and wider readership; Jo Walton convinced me to read these, and I hope I will convince a few of you in turn. (For those who might not know, Sarah Monette is also the author of The Goblin Emperor under her Katharine Addison pseudonym, but the books are very very different.)

The whole series is pretty good, but I particularly love the first two books (effectively one novel in two pieces) because she has an incredible sense of narrative voice and it’s just on fire from the first page. It more or less alternates between the POV of her two main characters, who think and speak very differently; one is a cat burglar and former assassin from the slums, one is a gay wizard who spends much of the first book literally insane.The cover designs suggest that the publisher was trying to market it as a gay romance series, which may explain why it sunk like a stone, because 1) niche market, and 2) despite some fairly explicit sex, it just is not a romance in any way.

4 Likes

Where has he said that he isn’t going to post it?

I think most of the files he posts are actually user generated, so presumably there is some lag between hardcopy release and fan converted releases.

1 Like

See the link i posted, where he answers the question from @anon68939300

2 Likes

I’m a good chunk into the full cast audio of American Gods, figured I should do that before the series, like I did for GoT. Not that anything is absolutely original, but I first read this “abandoned gods” premise in one of my favorite books, Kipling’s 1906 'Puck of Pook’s Hill". In it Puck is the last of the old Scandinavian & Germanic gods in Britain, transporting 2 children who accidentally summon him back into periods of British history like Hadrian’s Wall and the Norman Conquest.

4 Likes